Saturday, June 10, 2017

Toluca Double Diamond Dash {June 10, 2017}

Toluca Double Diamond Dash
June 10, 2017
8:00am
Official Time: 21:17 (*Pushing Gabe*)
Overall Ranking: 12/72
Female Ranking: 1/34
(My 8th race of the 2017 season)
The first I heard about this race was when Race Team Leader Mitch mentioned that he would like for the team to go run it - sure thing, Mitch! Count me IN! 

Coach Clint has LONG been on my case (RIGHTFULLY SO!) to be a good girl and incorporate more strength training into my weekly running routines.  Tuesday the week of this race I finally did some “stuff” after my run…body weight strength stuff like some squats, lunges, etc. Wednesday I was so sore that I said, “NOPE!”…and decided not to do any more of that crap until after Steamboat. Sorry Clint. I know, I know, I am such a pansy. 

I had some “high-ish” hopes for this 5k. I thought maybe I could even get a PR, based on recent workouts and runs, and had 20:10 in my head as a goal (with the ever-elusive sub-20 as a “pie in the sky” goal). (*For reference, my PR is 20:34/6:38 pace which was set at St. Pat’s in March with the stroller)  

Coach Clint told me to try to go out somewhere around that pace for the first mile at Toluca (and not to blow up by going out TOO hard!), hold on for mile 2, and then try to hammer mile 3 if anything was left.  Sounds like a solid plan to me!  I tucked it away in my brain and vowed to do my best to follow through with his suggestions (unlike my lack of follow through on strength training).

We did our “recent typical” race-morning routine - waking up early (Clint always manages to pry himself out of bed more expediently than I manage to do myself) and my breakfast-eating of a gluten free pita with almond butter and salted honey whilst wrangling the small man to get us all ready to get out the door. We left for Toluca around 6 and arrived around 7. We weren’t exactly sure where to go…I think the race info just stated a road or something like that so we drove around for a bit (not long, as the town is tiny!) looking for something that resembled a race start. It wasn’t hard to find, and once we did we parked and got ourselves ready to go. Clint retrieved our bib numbers while I got Gabe fed and situated in the stroller.

We joined the team for a warm-up…I ran with Amber and Holly-Rae for a two mile jaunt on the course. As we ran, we “enjoyed” the heat and the wind and the hills.  We chatted about the fact that we shouldn’t count on PRs. Of course it was still irrationally in the back of my mind….but I also knew it really wasn’t realistic.  It was pretty awesome…as we approached the finish line area at the end of our 2-mile warmup, one of the race organizers asked me to try pushing the stroller through the finishing chute because he wanted to make sure we fit. How awesome and sweet!! He ended up making it a little wider to accommodate our wide load. So thoughtful (LOVE small, personal races!!).

We visited the porta-potties and then headed over to the start on one of the quiet country roads the course was situated on. I weaseled to the front-ish with the stroller (in the crowd of roughly 70ish runners I didn’t feel too bad about that, though I am sure people rolled their eyes about a darn old stroller butting its way to the front - I don’t blame them of course!!), put the brake on, and then did a quick sprint out from the start to get my legs moving a bit. 

We all lined up, did our obligatory team high-fives and pats-on-the-backs…and we were off!! In the words of the great Holly-Rae…BARFO! It wasn’t long before we felt the wind pushing us back. “Go home!” the wind shouted.  Of course, we all pushed through it and followed the course, first to the left, then to the right. I did my best to do my usual bust-outta-the-start-as-fast-as-I-can when I am pushing the stroller so I am out of everyone’s way. I was the first chick out of the gate and did my best to keep the big boys within my sights for as long as I could.  Mile 1 beeped in 6:41 - pretty darn perfect, as far as the plan goes (to have the first mile be around my 5k PR pace of 6:38).

I could feel myself slowing down as I rode the rolling hills (no, I didn’t say “rode the stroller” - contrary to popular belief I have yet to actually try jumping on the back of the stroller and riding it down the hills).  I did my best to push and breathe and fight through them.  A young girl battled with me for the front position but I was able to stick with her. She was in front of me slightly for some time between the 1 -1.5 mile or so portions of the race but always within a few steps in either direction.  After we turn, things felt HOTTTT. I did my best to keep my breathing under control, but I know I sounded awful at some points.  Mile 2 beeped in 7:02. Way to slow down, Rachel! I knew that a PR was clearly way outta the picture…but I wanted to do my best to hold on to the top female position.

I tried to buckle down and push as hard as I could. I did a couple surges to try to put distance between myself and the young girl who was fighting me for 1st. By the time we got past the 2nd mile I was pretty darn sure I could hold her off until the end (as long as I didn’t trip, get hit by a car, or pop a tire in the stroller). Mile 3 clicked off in 6:54, not where I would’ve liked but I was thankful I managed to pick up a bit of speed compared to the middle mile.

Soon the finish was in sights….boy do 5ks HURT! However, at least it’s only for a short period of time :). I saw Clint yelling encouragement to my left and I started “sprinting” toward the finish.

The final 0.11 on my watch was at a 6:03 pace - I’ll take it!

Time on my watch was 21:16/race time was 21:17…43 seconds slower than my PR in March but the conditions at this race were definitely not as good as they were in March. I’ll take it. There will be more 5ks and more chances to be faster later this summer.

I grabbed a water and immediately went back to cheer in the rest of the team. So many great performances, as usual! I love our team and camaraderie! We have fun wherever we are!

It was pretty great to accept the 1st place female medal from Mitch with Clint who earned the 1st place male medal! CONGRATS to the rest of the team as well. 

AND - post race, we got to hang out with teammate and friend Carol at the beach at Wildwood!! THANK YOU for the invite - it was a beautiful, FUN morning with you! <3 a="" have="" need="" party="" sometime="" span="" swimming="" team="" to="" we="">

Thanks to the usual suspects - Mitch, Often Running, the rest of the team, Saucony, and Coach Clint! It’s always so much fun to be out there with everyone.

Pending Race Report (*again, Mitch, sorry for the delay!) - Steamboat 15k (no stroller)
Next Race Up - Park2Park (haven’t decided on stroller)
Race On Deck - Dog Days 5k (with stroller - this will be fun because it will mark my 1 year anniversary of stroller racing! Last year’s Dog Days event was my first stroller race with Gabe - he was 2 1/2 months old at the time.)

Pics -
TEAM!
Me + My Motor at the Start
His and Hers Medals
G enjoying his fav post-race fuel
Daddy + Son…cool dudes!!

Have a great day, all!


~Rachel

 




No comments: