Friday, November 22, 2013

2014 Race Plan (a Work-in-Progress)

I have been playing with race plans for next season in my head and on paper for over a month now...and I think it's time to get something written out to hold myself accountable.  I've gotten a good start on it, but there are still some "unknowns."

I have registered for one race in 2014 thus far...the Tri Shark sprint-distance triathlon in Hudson, IL on May 31.  This is the only thing for me, race-wise, that is set in stone for next season.  Other than that...I am not completely sold on my schedule yet...but here it is (reminder: somewhat tentative!)~

1.  Saturday, April 25:  Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon/Urbana, IL
HISTORY:    I ran my first half marathon at this event in 2009 with my sister (in 1:57).  I credit this event with kick-starting my endurance event habit!  Therefore, I try to make it a priority each year.  I ran the event in 2010 (seven minutes faster; 1:50!) and registered again to run in 2011...but unfortunately had a stress fracture in my left foot and couldn't run.  I also ran in 2012, so including this year's event I have run it 4 times.  I'd like to make it 5!  It would also be great to earn a PR.  My current half marathon PR is 1:46.49.
GOAL:  1:40 (big jump...I know.  Go big!)

2.  Sunday, May 18:  One thing is certain...I will do SOMETHING this day.  However...I am currently torn.  The two possibilities are:  Rev3 Knoxville OR Run River City (Peoria, IL).  This will be a really tough decision for me.  I completed the 70.3 relay at Rev3 Knoxville in 2013 and would love to do it again in 2014.  It was an AWESOME kick-off to my triathlon season, plus Rev3 events are frankly unparalleled.  However, Run River City has a special place in my heart.  This past season, I ran in the inaugural Run River City event...I completed the marathon distance after signing up just the day before.  This event was one of the most pivotal in my racing "career," as it is where I had my "chance meeting" with random-stranger-turned friend Jenn.  So...I will either do a 70.3 relay at Rev3 Knoxville OR the half marathon or full marathon event at Run River City with Jenn.  Serious thought will go into this decision!
GOAL:  TBD

3.  Saturday, May 24:  Tri for Kids Sake (sprint distance triathlon, pool swim)/Morton, IL
HISTORY:  This year I finished in 1:21:22.9, which was 3 1/2 minutes faster than my time the previous year (2012).  I even got 3rd overall female at the 2013 event!  In 2012 signed up to complete the event just a few days before the event...having just signed up for my first 70.3 in Branson later that season and realizing I needed to get my butt in gear and figure out this triathlon business!   
Fun fact:  when I did the Tri for Kids Sake event in 2012 I hadn't been in a pool for approximately 6 months prior to that.  Ha!
GOAL: 1:15, and getting an overall or age group award would be pretty sweet as well!

4.  Saturday, May 31:  Tri-Shark Classic (Sprint distance triathlon)/Hudson, IL
HISTORY: This year I finished in 1:27:07.3 and earned 5th in my age group.  Next year I should be much faster...I know I finished this season with the skills to ride 13 miles in WELL under 43 minutes (what I rode the Tri Shark course in during the race last year).  Additionally, last year's event was turned into a duathlon (run-bike-run) due to dangerous water conditions.
GOAL:  I'm shooting for more in the 1:15 range for next year, and would like to get 3rd or higher in my age group.

5.  Sunday, June 15:  Rev3 Williamsburg (70.3)/Williamsburg, VA
This race will be a NEW one for me!  This fall I applied to be a member of the Rev3 Triathlon Team and I recently found out that I am a semi-finalist in the process!  There were approximately 600 applicants...and from that pool 50 of us were chosen to move forward in the selection process.  I'm nervous/excited/hopeful and am looking forward to early December when they announce who the 15 final candidates are (before 8 are chosen!).  Regardless of the outcome, I am planning to participate in the 70.3 event at Rev3 Williamsburg.  Not only is the venue gorgeous, but this year's medal was just AWESOME...I'm hoping next year's is just as cool!  Check this out:
Something like this must be added to my collection!
GOAL:  My goal for the 70.3 is sub-6 hours.

6.  Sunday, June 22:  Rev3 Dells (70.3 relay)/Wisconsin Dells, WI
Back-to-Back 70.3 events?!  Why not?! Well...because I am not quite THAT hard-core, I will likely do the Dells event as a relay.
HISTORY:  I participated in this tons-of-fun event this past August on a relay team and got 1st in the female relay team division!  I did the run and friends Melissa and Martha did the swim and bike, respectively. 
GOAL:  TBD, depends on if I do the full 70.3 event or if I do the relay...and if so, which leg(s)! 


That at least gets me through April, May, and June!  I will add in 1-2 additional Rev3 events, likely Rev3 Cedar Point on Sunday, September 7 (most likely the 70.3...though to be completely honest the idea of doing the 140.6 at this event is rolling around in my crazy skull...) and Rev3 Florida in November (sun in November?!  YES PLEASE!).

I also need to put some serious thought/planning into my marathon schedule for next year.  I now have 10 marathons under my belt and am 8 states into the 50 States Challenge (working toward completing a marathon in every state!)!  I will obviously keep working on toward that goal over the coming years, though I am not quite sure yet when/how in 2014.  There's a tentative possibility that I would run the full marathon at the 2014 Run River City event...and I've also had a friend mention to me that I should do the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon with him and some of his friends on April 27...and another friend has suggested the Salt Lake City Marathon on April 19.  I am hopefully planning to register for the Chicago Marathon (taking place in October of 2014).  October of 2014 will be the 5 year "anniversary" of my first marathon...the 2009 Chicago Marathon...which makes registering for the 2014 Chicago Marathon quite motivating and sentimental for me.  Obviously, running another marathon in the great state of IL (Run River City and/or Chicago) does nothing as far as furthering my count in my 50-states quest...but running some more local, more familiar races could also allow me to focus more on a long-standing goal:  qualifying for the Boston Marathon.  Hm.  So many possibilities to consider...

While this isn't set in stone and clearly I have some more thinking and planning to do...it's a start.  I'm a lover of lists, so it feels good to have something recorded to at least start with.  Seeing as I am still rocking a boot on my right leg (almost to the three-week point now...so hopefully halfway done), I need to continue to focus my thoughts and energy on getting healthy and on cross training through this winter to get me stronger and ready to race in 2014!  Bring it, 2014!

I'm quite open to suggestions for races to add to my 2014 schedule, particularly July/August events...let me have 'em!  Happy training!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Heck yeah to planning 2014!

Yay for rev3!

And as for the 50 state challenge, come to portland, free place to stay!

Anonymous said...

Okay, you're single, sightly adventurous, so why not go and do a triathlon in Paris. Be seeing you.

http://www.team-paris-triathlon.com/