Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Happy National Running Day

 
What better day to jump back into blogging than on National Running Day?! 

I've written numerous times about how running has been an important part of my life.  I am grateful for the gift of running given to me 10+ years ago by my sister, for a body that allows me to participate in the activity, and for the relationships I've both made and strengthened through running.  I can't imagine my life without it.
Me with Megan after I completed my first half marathon at the U of IL in 2009


I've run all over this beautiful country of ours, through the mountains of West Virginia, the beaches of Hawaii, across the bridges of the Quad Cities, amongst the monuments on the Mall in Washington, DC, in the Ozarks, and on my all-so-familiar Constitution Trail in Bloomington-Normal.  I've shared the gift and joy (and frustration!) of running with friends and colleagues who have laced up running shoes after being encouraged (forced?!) by me.  I've run through dark anger, deep sadness, heartache, confusion...as well as with immeasurable joy.  I've run across the finish line of Ironman Wisconsin surrounded by a boisterous crowd including my own friends and family, and I've run along the Hennepin Canal in Geneseo, IL to the sounds of my own feet, birds and flowing water.  I've raised money for the kids and families who receive therapy services at Easter Seals in Central IL while training for and completing my tenth marathon in NYC last fall.  There is not a time in my adult life where running is not a part of my memories.

Last week my maternal grandfather passed away.  He was placed under hospice care on Tuesday and upon receiving that news, I had the immediate desire to get home to see him and to be with my family.  After some discussions with family members, I made the decision to wait until Saturday afternoon to head home.  It looked as if he would hang on...though he was declining last week, it seemed as if it wasn't quite dire.  After all, he was a stubborn and hardy man who had already thrived for 99 long and incredible years.

On Thursday morning I received a text message from my mother, "Call me as soon as you can."  I knew immediately what that meant and was struck by a sick sadness.  Her ever-even, calm voice saying, "Honey, Grandpa passed away a little bit ago," reiterated what I already knew.  She apologized at the end of the conversation for not advising me to come more quickly.  I assured her that it was ok...and it is.  There was no way to know how quickly he would pass and frankly I felt awful that she even had one iota of guilt over her advice to me.  We never know how much time there is.  This was a good reminder of that solemn truth.  Thursday night, though I certainly didn't feel like doing anything other than lying on the couch, I laced up my running shoes and ran with a local group...even a bit faster than I was accustomed to and surprised myself with my ability to keep up.

Me with my sister Megan and my niece Macy (18 mo old);
my two fav running buddies (Macy looks less-than-thrilled,
but she actually does enjoy time in her running stroller!)
After completing the Tri-Shark sprint-distance triathlon in Hudson, IL not far from my home on Saturday morning I headed home to the Quad Cities to be with my family.  Naturally my running shoes were one of the first items I packed, as per usual.  During my time at home I had the opportunity to run a HOT 10-miler with my sister on Sunday morning, 2.5 miles Monday morning during a torrential downpour and a relaxed 4 miles on Tuesday morning with my sister and niece Macy (we each pushed the jogging stroller for half/2 miles).  16.5 miles in the three days I spent in the Quad Cities; I'll take it! 

During my time at home, we spent hours celebrating the life of my grandfather and reminiscing about the ways in which he touched our lives with my large extended family.  Being able to have almost all of us home together for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long was incredibly special.  My brother Dan flew home from San Diego and I was so excited to see him and spend time together I could hardly stand it.  I had the privilege of speaking in the funeral service alongside my sister and cousins Kristi and Michelle.  I firmly believe that the challenge of running and racing has helped me become a stronger person who can endure difficult situations such as that.

While I continue to be very much a work-in-progress, running makes me a better version of "me."  Some days I run to forget, others I run to remember.  Sometimes I run to be social with a group, others I prefer the silence of solitude and intentionally run along less-traveled roads and trails to get away from it all.  Almost always, my day and general outlook on life is better post-run.

In more recent years, I've added swimming and biking to my "activity" regimen.  However, running will always be my favorite part of my "multi-sport" lifestyle.  I'm looking forward to a summer of racing in both running races and triathlons with a variety of friends (including my incredible Rev3 teammates!).  Who knows, maybe I will actually try to buckle down and focus on getting faster...regardless, my biggest goal will be to continue to have fun with it all.

I run...for myself and my mental health, for my family, for my Easter Seals kids, and to be a good example to others.




Why do you run?


 

No comments: