Tuesday, April 14, 2015

{Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Dairy Free} Quinoa Cookies

Last night I got home from track practice (I am currently coaching middle school track for the first time...that's a story for another time :)) and informed Clint that I wanted cookies.  Specifically with chocolate.  Because, really, what's better than some cookies fresh-from-the-oven with molten chocolate chips?

Not much.

So, after dinner {salmon + steamed Brussels and carrots} I sat down to whip out a paper for an online class.  I'm telling you...this semester is kicking my rear end.  I am taking one doctoral class (Special Education Law) here at ISU and three online courses through the University of Phoenix (long story short...these are for a licensure requirement thanks to some state of IL hoops).  It's making me lose my mind at times, but once it's over (in just four weeks!) it will ALL be worth it.  Then I can relax and...uh...plan my wedding, right?! 

My reward for last night's work?  Cookies.  Clint requested that they be made with quinoa flour and egg whites and be something light enough that he could potentially eat as pre-run fuel.  I wanted chocolate (duh) and oats.  My brain went to work dreaming up a recipe.

After completing my work I googled a few different cookie recipes and didn't really find anything I was crazy about so I decided to just gamble and make something up...I'm actually quite satisfied with the result.  Soft.  Chewy.  Lightly sweet.  Satisfying.

After posting pics on Instagram last night, I had a few requests for the recipe so I decided to post it here {someday ... in a future "life" I would LOVE to be a food/healthy-living blogger ... however that day is not today and this is just a mini-foray into that world}.

*Gluten-Free Quinoa Cookies*

-6 T egg whites (the whites from approximately 2 large eggs)
-6 dates, pitted
-3/4 cup {organic, unsweetened} applesauce
-1 T vanilla
-1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
-1.5 T flax + 3 T water, combined
-2 T chia seeds
-2 t baking soda
-1.5 cups {gluten free} oats
-1.5 cups quinoa flour
-Celtic Sea salt to taste
-mix-ins of your choice (I used some dark chocolate chunks but I would anticipate that dried fruit and/or nuts would also be stellar) **without the dark chocolate chunks, these cookies would also be refined sugar free!**

My Process:
-Pre-heat oven to 350F
-I tend to be a "dump it all together and see what happens" type of baker/cook.  To make these cookies, I put the egg whites, pitted dates, applesauce, vanilla, melted coconut oil and flax+water "gel" into my trusty food processor and processed it all together until the dates were pureed. 
-In a separate (large) mixing bowl, I combined the quinoa flour, oats, baking soda, chia seeds and sea salt.
-I poured the pureed sweet liquid-y stuff into the dry stuff and stirred by hand until it was combined.
-I dropped batter by heaping spoonfuls onto a baking mat on a cookie sheet.  My first sheet I did plain and my second sheet I mixed some dark chocolate chunks into the batter before scooping.
-Bake approximately 12 minutes in preheated 350F oven
-Let the cookies cool a bit unless you are impatient (like me!)...pour a glass of {cashew, almond, or other!} milk and enjoy with a warm cookie!

**If you've never baked with quinoa flour before...get ready for a rather unique taste.  The quinoa flour lends a somewhat nutty, hearty flavor that some may find a little strong...we like it a lot over here and have started using this flour for everything from pancakes to breads to these cookies!

Cookie fun...complete with my chicken-scratched list of things I threw into the batter.  Usually I don't keep good track of what I throw into my "creations" but decided I should start writing things down because I've actually started making things that I would want to make again!
I ate one and a half before bed and two for breakfast this morning...YUMMMM!!!

Enjoy!  Comment if you make the cookies and let me know if you make any adjustments to my recipe and let me know how it works out!

~Rachel

No comments: