Sunday, May 3, 2015

Illinois Half Marathon 4-25-15 Race Recap

ran my very first half marathon at the very first Illinois Marathon event back in 2009.  Every year since then I have been back for the race….running most years, spectating two of the years.  My former half marathon PR was set here, back in 2013:  1:46:49.  I was eager to see this PR fall but was also wary of making a public “goal,” thinking that in talking about it I would somehow “jinx” my chances.
Well… I did start talking about it and maybe that actually helped drive my determination.  I decided in December that I would set a goal to run a half marathon in 2015 under 1:40…and hoped that I could do it at the U of I at the end of April.  As everyone else who made spring-time goals knows…this meant wrestling with the nasty IL winter elements.  I recall a number of rather depressing runs, trudging through thick and cold snow (many times in the dark after work) thinking that I would never get “faster” and that it was stupid to make a goal that required working hard in the winter months.
As the weather started getting warmer, my runs started getting faster.  While my weekly mileage has been far less than I would like (working full time, coaching track and taking 12 credit hours has totally cramped my training style this past semester!) I have worked hard during my runs to keep the intensity high.  The first time I ran a 10 mile (easy!) training run at sub 8 minute/mile pace I knew my goal was actually well within reach.
A few weeks prior to the race, Clint informed me that he wanted to pace me for the half marathon.  He was also registered for the half, but had thought about racing the 10k instead.  I told him that was crazy and that he should run his own race…pacing me seemed too “giving.”  I know the joy that running fast and hard brings him…and running a race with me wouldn’t be anywhere near the speeds he was capable of!  He assured me that it was something that he really wanted to do and so we planned on it taking place.
The Saturday prior to this race, I ran a 5k in East Peoria supporting Easter Seals (see previous race report :-)).  A week prior to the Easter Seals race I thought, “Hm…maybe I should try for a PR!”  Another running-related goal I had set for myself this year was running a sub 21 minute 5k.  After a come-to-Jesus chat with Clint I realized running a hard 5k the week before I hoped to PR at a half marathon in a big way wasn’t the best idea (what can I say…I’m pretty clueless when it comes to training “smart”!).  However, when I somehow managed to cross that finish line without giving 100% effort in sub 21 minutes for the first time (20:54 to be exact) and still felt good, I was pretty high on life. 
The night before the U of I event, Clint told me that the race time predictor on my Garmin watch said that I could run a half marathon in 1:33. I’ll have you know, I laughed my fool head off.  “Ain’t NO way this girl is running a 1:33," I thought, thoroughly entertained by the notion.
The morning of the race, we left somewhere between 5:45 and 6 am.  Disgusting.  Mornings are NOT my forte.  Our trip to Champaign on trusty 74 was uneventful (THANKS, Clint, for driving so that I could veg out!) and we arrived on campus around 7am (after a potty stop at a McDonald’s down the street per my request…THANKS again, Clint! :-)).  I “ran” in and out of McD’s to “test” my legs…and things felt good.  I was cautiously optimistic…
We met up with Andy, Steve, Marlene and Paul in the parking lot and took a pre-race picture (of course) and chatted a bit.  Clint and I did a pseudo warm-up by jogging around the parking lot and I visited the porta-potties a few times.  Darn pre-race stomach!!
Clint and I lined up in Coral A together where I commented, “I SO do not belong here!”  We chatted with a few friends and other fellow runners and joked about the rain that was starting to lightly sprinkle on us.  I danced around nervously and awkwardly like I usually do…and before I knew it, we were off.
The first half mile was ahhhmazing.  I felt like I was flying.  I checked my watch and my pace was like 6:40. Great.  Good idea, Rachel ;).  No but really…I felt euphoric.  Clint informed me that I would be controlling the pace for the first while.  We slowed a bit after the excitement and adrenaline surge induced by the start of the race and settled in with the 7:15 pace group.
Our friends Mike and Frank were running around this pace group as well so it was fun to get to run with and chat with them for a bit as we were running.  Frankly, I was also surprised that I was (for a time!) keeping up with them.  It was nice to have more company and camaraderie early on in the race. 
Mile 1-7:18. Nice.  However, it seemed a little fast (based on the number, not the perceived effort) seeing as my goal was 1:40 which would be attained with an average of 7:33 miles.  I checked in with Clint who said we were in great shape and that I should plan to stick with the current pace.  Fair enough!
Mile 2-7:13. Uh.  Whoops?  Slightly faster?!  Oh well! Things still felt good.  At this point, we were still with the 7:15 pace group and I felt like I would be able to sustain the current effort for quite some time.
Mile 3 - 7:09  Faster yet ;). 
Mile 4 - 7:11. 
Mile 5 - 7:07. 
Mile 6 - 7:04. This was my fastest mile of the race.
Sometime during mile 6 the rain started.  Gross.  We knew it was coming and I am thankful it held off for almost half of the race.  Once it started, my confidence washed away just the slightest bit.  My shoes became instantly heavy with rain and my face and arms started stinging from the sharp dagger-droplets of rain. Even more disheartening than the rain was a terrible headwind that worked to push me over (so it felt).  Some little scrawny twerp tried to duck in behind me for cover.  No thank YOU!  I gladly used the extra energy to run pointedly behind Clint from his right side to his left side to lose the guy.
In spite of the rain, we crossed the 10k in 44:35.  Clint asked me what my 10k PR was prior to that moment and I wasn’t sure.  Consulting my trusty post-it note on my work desk revealed that my 10k PR in a race was 47:24, set this past fall.  Awesome.
Mile 7 - 7:19.  My stomach sank a bit seeing this number on my watch.  While I was still well below my goal pace and well on track to meet my goal of sub 1:40, the 7:15 group started slipping away from me at this point.  Additionally, my stomach started to turn a little sour.  I tried to mentally problem-solve and considered taking one of the gels Clint had in a pocket for me if I wanted them.  I hadn’t been training with any gels up to this point this season and was leery of taking one.  But, I was also wondering if I was somehow getting hungry.  I decided that it would be stupid to chance it and kept pressing on.  I told Clint at this point that my stomach was bothering me…but also said that I was only uttering the words so that I could lose them and not think of the matter again.  I did my best to push the feelings out of my brain.  I don’t think I had been drinking any water up until this point, but Clint made sure to make me grab it at least once or twice in the later stages.
Mile 8 - 7:12. Better.
Mile 9 - 7:15. Not bad.
Mile 10 - 7:23.  At this point, I did lose the 7:15 group.  They were never completely out of sight, but we were no longer running around them.  I was slightly disheartened, but again…running ahead of pace so I knew that I really should be satisfied!
Mile 11 - 7:27. 
Mile 12 - 7:28. 
Miles 10, 11 and 12 were the hardest for me.  I was getting tired and more than once had thoughts like, “Well my goal pace was really only 7:33. I’ve been running between 7-7:20 for most of this race.  This means I really have a few minutes “banked” and could actually decrease my pace to like 8:00 miles and still get my PR….”  I didn’t say this out loud to Clint, but it wouldn’t have mattered anyway ;-).  Somewhere during this 3 mile span of darkness, he ran ahead of me and pointed at the ground on his left side…wordless.  These actions spoke louder than his words ever could have and I dug in a bit to catch up.  I THINK I can, I THINK I can!
Mile 13 - 7:10. Finishing strong!
The final 0.1 (actually my watch had it as 0.2) was run at a 6:42 pace.  How I had anything left in my tank I am not sure…but running across that finish line felt better than any ever has. 
1:35:43.
A sweaty kiss, a sweet medal, a bottle of water, a silver “blanket,” a quick picture….and I stumbled my way up the stadium stairs (worst idea ever!!) and back into the dry concourse for a banana.  I’m glad Clint walked in front of me so he couldn’t see my eyes, shiny with tears thanks to the emotion of the moment.  I might’ve lost it completely…and who wants to see that?! ;)
This race was an outstanding confidence booster.  Prior to this race I NEVER would’ve fathomed I would run a half marathon in ANYTHING in the 1:30s.  April was an insanely intense month work-wise, but somehow work stress and my winter workouts must’ve gotten married and produced a hot 1:35:46 half marathon “baby”!  Oh, and there’s that element of some rock-star coaching by our own Clinton Wells to throw into that mix as well.  While I know I’ll never break any REAL records in the running world…I’m breaking down all of my former beliefs regarding what I can and cannot do and that is a great feeling.  Hard work = good outcomes (well, in many cases anyway).
I guess talking about my goal of a sub 1:40 half marathon helped bring it to be.  So…I’m going to be crazy and publicly throw my next goal out there, knowing full well that this means risking the “embarrassment of failure”.  I am going to run 3:30 marathon this year (this will be my 11th marathon…with my most recent being in NYC back in November of 2013; my PR is 3:49 back in 2011 at the Quad Cities).  I’m not sure when or where (other than that it will occur before mid September if you know what I mean)…but this is going to be my next quest.  So, bring on the summer heat and sweat. I’m looking forward to chasing my next goal and running many miles with you all over the coming months!
CONGRATULATIONS to everyone else for your stellar performances at the U of I event, in spite of the weather.
THANK YOU to Mitch and Often Running for the privilege of being on the Often Runnong Racing team.  I’m grateful for the opportunity and am so thankful to be able to call many of my teammates.  They've enhanced my life in so many ways!  Thanks, Clint for being my coach through more than just running.  Life is sweeter with you by my side (or, when necessary, running a few strides too many in front of me pointing at the ground with a silent, “GET YOUR BUTT UP HERE!”).  April was one of the best months of my life for many reasons and I'm looking forward to all the rest of the adventures that 2015 has in store!


No comments: