Sunday, July 12, 2015

Matyasse-Wells Triple Crown Race(s) Recap

June 11, 2015

Backstory:
I'm not exactly sure how the plan for this quest for three races in one day was initially conceived, but sometime last summer (2014) Clint and I had the idea to try to complete three races in 3 different cities in 2 different states all on the same day. Unfortunately for our plan, the first race was rained out shortly after our arrival at the race site (Fisher Fair fairgrounds). We did go on to complete the next two races in our plan that day and vowed that we would try again this summer to do all three if they were scheduled for the same day again. We were pretty excited to learn that all three races would indeed be held on the same day, and signed up in the spring for what we hoped would be our epic adventure.

Here in Central IL the summer has been pretty darn wet and rainy. We watched the forecast in the days leading up to our races (why?! The stinking forecast seems to change minute by minute here and even if one thing is forecasted...often what happens outside is quite different ;-)) and it appeared that getting wet at least at some point during our day was inevitable. We just crossed our finger that none of the events would be canceled and knew we'd deal with whatever was dealt in the way of weather while running...heat, rain, whatever! Last year not only was our first event rained out, but our second event (Dog Days 5k) was insanely hot and our third event (Moonlight Chase 4 miler) had a delayed start due to lightening and it rained for much of the race. Racing is unpredictable...but that's part of the "fun"!

Sometime during the week leading up to our race weekend, Clint began dubbing the day "The Matyasse-Wells Triple Crown"...I kinda love it ;-). Additionally, to add to the fun, our racing team placed bets on Clint's finishing times for each race. This inspired the two of us to each come up with 8 total bets each: finishing times for each of us in each of the 4 races and then also a total for each of us for race times for the day. 

Predictions:
Clint says Rachel will compete-
1. Fisher Fair 5k in 21:10
2. Dog Days 5k in 21:40
3. Moonlight Chase 4 miler in 28:30
4. Three races in 71:20
Rachel says she will complete-
1. Fisher Fair 5k in 20:45
2. Dog Days 5k 21:05
3. Moonlight Chase 4 miler in 30:10
4. Three races in 72:00

Clint says he will compete-
1. Fisher Fair 5k in 18:30
2. Dog Days 5k in 18:50
3. Moonlight Chase 4 miler in 25:00
4. Three races in 62:20
Rachel says Clint will complete-
1. Fisher Fair 5k in 18:45
2. Dog Days 5k in 18:45
3. Moonlight Chase 4 miler in 24:30
4. Three races in 62:00


Race 1 - Fisher Fair 5k - Fisher, IL

After my usual act of languishing in bed hitting snooze on the alarm more than I should and a breakfast of a Larabar each, we departed Normal shortly after 6am for Fisher, IL (about 50 minutes from home). About 12 minutes into our journey I yell at Clint in a panic, "I forgot to get our race numbers!", thinking about them sitting on the passenger seat in my car. He points out to me the fact that the race numbers I have in my car are for Dog Days (race #2). Whoops. Clearly having to organize race accessories and plan for more than one event in a day had fried my brain a bit. 
Once we arrived at the fairgrounds where the race was held, we made our way to the packet pickup area and grabbed our numbers. This race has a great option: you can pay less for the race entry (just $14!) if you choose the "no shirt" option. Seeing as race shirts just tend to pile up around here...that's a great option for us! Interestingly (puzzlingly?!;-)) this race boasts some interesting "swag"...
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
After an obligatory visit to the fairground bathrooms, we located some friends/teammates for a pre-race chat and pic...
...and then headed out for a 0.70 mile warm up before heading to the starting line. 

I decided just to go out "hard" and hold on for as long as I could. As soon as the start was signaled, I took off as quickly as I could manage (and heard a noise that I later learned was a photographer getting basically trampled by runners). My first few strides (few!!) were in line with Clint, but within mere seconds he was gone.

I was proud of myself for keeping Karen, fellow Often Running Racing Team member and all around awesome runner, in my sights for just over a mile (this is not always something I can manage:-)). My first mile ticked off in 6:40, which turned out to be clearly far too quick as my next two miles were far less impressive. 

As I started in on the second mile, I tried to fight the strong mental urge to slow down. I KNEW I had gone out too hard and really doubted my ability to hold onto the pace. I also told myself that maybe I should just buck up and try harder. My 5k PR of 20:56 was set just 3 months ago and maybe, just maybe, I could manage a time near that (if not a second or two faster!). Somewhere during the beginning of the second mile I had the pleasant surprise of seeing teammate and friend Andy who had biked down to spectate. He yelled at me for smiling, and I scowled at him ;-) and soldiered on. Mile 2 ticked off in 7:05, 25 seconds slower than the first mile. Sigh. 

As I started the third mile, I did my best to increase my pace. I remember thinking that I would be OK with this darn race ending anytime as it had actually started to heat up to an uncomfortable level. Mile 3 was over in 7:01, slightly better than mile 2.

After the final right-hand turn, I dug in for the final tenth of a mile straightaway back onto the fairgrounds. My watch actually clocked the race at 3.08 instead of 3.1, and has my final 0.08 at a 6:15 pace. 
Thanks, Andy, for capturing my true colors

Total 21:12 (6:50 pace), 1st in age group (out of 11), and 43rd out of 277 total participants. 

Clint had an amazing race...18:10 (5:52 pace), a PR!!! He also earned 2nd in his age group and 15th overall out of 277. I'm quite proud of him!

Look at that poor kid...this might be one of my fav race pictures ever ;)
After the race, we hung around a bit and then Clint and I hopped back in the car since I needed to get home and cleaned up to head to Peoria with my friend Jillian for my final wedding dress fitting (!!!!). 

Thanks to Karen (who ended up 3rd female overall in a FAST field with a stellar 19:46!), Gary and Jamey for sticking around for awards and for grabbing ours!

Once we got back home, I showered and quickly got ready to head out again...Jillian picked me up shortly afterwards and we headed to Peoria with little Nadya. First stop was Cyd's for some lunch (I tried to eat light seeing as I didn't want gut bombs sitting inside while I prepped to run two more races).

**Race 1 predictions results: Clint was closer on both of his predictions for this race so I lost! :-( (Clint - his prediction was 18:30, my prediction was
18:45, his actual finish was 18:10! Rachel - his prediction was 21:10, my prediction was 20:45, my actual finish was 21:12...Clint was only 2 seconds off of my finishing time!)


Race 2 - Dog Days 5k - Hudson, IL

We headed out to Lake Bloomington around 4:45. There was a notice on Facebook stating parking could be difficult due to the rain and flooded roads/ditches. Even though the race start wasn't until 6 and the race site is just about 15 minutes from home, we wanted to arrive in plenty of time. 

We arrived around 5 and found prime parking not far from the start/finish. Clint, as usual, was a parking champion!
Ready for #2!
We corralled the rest of the Often Running Racing Team for a group picture (maybe our first with almost everyone!). 
Poor Karen was left out, as she was already off at the mile 1 water stop getting ready for her volunteer duties...so Clint photo-shopped her in later ;-) -
Nicely done, CW ;)
After hanging around a bit, we heard the announcement that the race director (Mitch!) wanted to try to start the race ~5 minutes early due to the questionable weather. We all lined up and were sent off a few minutes prior to 6...worked out great for us since we needed to hit the road ASAP for number three!!:-)
We're off!
I started out with Amber and the two of us had determined that we both wanted to go out at around a 7 min/mile pace for the first mile. I wanted to see if going out a bit easier for my first mile could result in the coveted negative splits and an overall better time than the morning's race. It rained on us a bit during that first mile, but it provided a welcome/refreshing feeling and wasn't bad at all. 

Well, once again, all of the excitement (or something!) got the best of me. Soon mile 1 ticked off....6:36?! Whoops...this was faster than mile 1 at Fisher...not slower!!

I pressed on as mile 2 started and did my best to keep a steady-ish pace through the slight hills in this portion of the "inner loop." I love mile 2 of this race, because it's an out-and-back and I get to see who is in front of me after they turn and head back and I also get to see Clint! I cheered for him and a few other familiar faces and carried on to finish out mile 2 in....7:19?! Ugh!!! This was 43 seconds slower than mile 1. I did learn later that many people posted slower 2nd miles compared to their 1st miles....but a 43 second difference is wayyyy too much. I need to work on a few things!

Mile 3 started and I set my sights on catching Joe, teammate and friend. I was able to close the gap between us a bit and caught/passed some other runners between us on that final mile. I wasn't able to catch him, though, and he finished with a PR (way to go, Joe!).

I tried to pick up my pace for the final stretch as I neared the crowd at the finish line. I saw Clint who yelled at me and I finished the final 0.1 in a 6:22 pace (good to have a bit left in the old tank!). 

I ran a total of 21:24 which earned me 3rd female, 21st overall (out of 158) and first in my age group. I am pleased with my 6:54 average pace for my 2nd 5k of the day. I'm still rather astounded to see sub 7 min/mile paces for races of any distance. 
Ready for that finish line!
Clint got 7th overall (out of 158) and 1st in his age group with an 18:29. Last year, we both got 1st in our respective age groups as well! Fun times :-)!

As soon as the race was over, we jogged back to the car and got in a 0.6 mile "cooldown." Frankly, my legs were toast and the thought of sitting down for 2+ hours and dealing with the inevitable cramping was not appealing. I knew we didn't have much time for a long cooldown, but was glad we took a few minutes for a quick one at least! This brought our daily mileage to 9.7...not that I was obsessively counting or anything ;-).

**Race 2 predictions results: Clint was once again closer on both of his predictions for this race so I lost AGAIN! :-( (Clint - his prediction was 18:50, my prediction was 18:45, his actual finish was 18:29. Rachel - his prediction was 21:40 my prediction was 21:05, my actual finish was 21:25.)


Race 3 - Moonlight Chase (4 miler) - Eldridge, IA

Clint drove the 2+ hour trek from Lake
Bloomington to Eldridge. We managed to have enough time for a FAST bathroom stop about halfway through the journey. We arrived in Eldridge with about 20 minutes til race time on the clock. We were meeting our friend Aaron there (with our race numbers!). Aaron advised us to park in a high school lot not far from the starting line and actually stood in a parking spot to save it for us...this helped immensely as we were definitely cutting it close! 

Ready to chase the moonlight with Aaron!
We put our numbers and shoes on and I chose to wear a short-sleeved shirt instead of my Often Running jersey seeing as it was still soaked from the race ~2 hours prior. We quickly made our way to the start and got in a short 0.3 mile warm up before taking our spots at the starting line near the front of the crowd. 

After a few seconds of standing...we were off! My legs screamed in protest, but allowed me to press on. I told myself (and I REALLY MEANT IT THIS TIME ;-)) that I would take this first mile easier than the other two first miles of the day and would keep the pace right around 7:00. The first mile ticked off in 6:59. Mission accomplished!!

As I started in on mile 2, I was really regretting my choice to wear my short sleeved shirt. The temps were indeed cooler than the earlier part of the day, seeing as the sun had gone down. But...I had overestimated my ability to tolerate sleeves. Ugh. I hate running in sleeves. I kept thinking about taking my shirt off but the fact that I was running in what felt like a sea of tiny high school and college students made me keep the shirt on. I did my best to keep my pace steady from mile 1 and envisioned finishing in an even 7:00 pace/28:00 total. Regardless, I was fairly certain I would get a 4-mile PR tonight as my current PR was 31:20, a 7:50 pace (set in 2011 at the Steamboat Classic). Mile 2 was completed in 7:08. Not too shabby. 

As I started in on mile 3 I reminded myself that I was halfway done with this thing and, most importantly, I was just 2 miles away from accomplishing our goal of completing 3 races in 1 day. For basic the entire race up to this point, I had been trailing Aaron by ~10 yards. I decided it was time to catch up to him. However, my body was definitely feeling run down from the day's events. Though I felt like I was putting forth some good effort, mile 3 ticked off in 7:14.

I told myself I WOULD catch Aaron in mile 4 and that I WOULD pick up the pace so mile 4 was faster than 3. I dug in and caught Aaron shortly after the start of the 4th mile. We chatted a bit and enjoyed the last mile of this festive and unique run. The course runs through a few Eldridge neighborhoods and most people come out into their yards to watch and yell, eat and drink and have a generally fun time. It's *almost* as good as the crowd support at the Bix!

I saw the "1 mile turn around" for one of the shorter races spray painted on the pavement, deduced that the finish line was just a half mile away, and picked up my pace. My final mile ticked off in 7:09...my watch had the course at 4.07. My final 0.07 was at a 6:15 pace. 

My final finishing time of 28:55 earned me 119th out of 977 total participants and 5th in AG out of 74 (just shy of an award...awards go 4 deep at this race!). My 7:14 pace isn't quite what I would've liked...but let's be honest, I know I should be pretty pleased with this especially considering these miles were my final 4 of 14 total miles spread out over 13+ hours and including 3 races!

Clint's Moonlight performance was pretty darn stellar:  26th out of 977 total participants and 1st in his AG out of 35 with a time of 24:31 (6:08/mile pace). This was also a 4-mile PR for him! Yes, this absolute stud set two PRs in two different distances in two different races on the same day :-). Pretty incredible!!

We were pretty excited to successfully complete our quest for 3 races in 1 day! Even more exciting, we managed to have some great personal performances. 3 total PRs and 5 total top 3 age group finishes for our combined 6 race performances is pretty  fun!! Add this with the fact that we saw many of our favorite people throughout the day and this is certainly a day to remember forever. 

After we left Eldridge, we went to Granite City in Davenport for some delicious, salty food. Thank goodness they serve food until 11pm! It felt great to replace many lost calories! After dinner we headed over to my sister's where we basically just arrived and crashed. We were able to spend a little time with her family the next morning before heading back to BloNo. What a weekend!!

**Race 3 predictions results: I was closer on 1 and Clint was closer on 1 (Clint - his prediction was 25:00, my prediction was 24:30, his actual finish was 24:31...I was ONE second off!! Rachel - his prediction was 28:30, my prediction was 30:10, my actual finish was 28:55.).

Next up...the BIX on July 25 and then our wedding 13.1/5k! {send me a message if you want more info/want to join in on that fun!!}

Happy running, all! :-)
~Rachel

No comments: