Monday, May 7, 2018

The Lake Run Half Marathon {May 5, 2018}


The Lake Run Half Marathon
Hudson, IL//8:30am
-1:57:15 (8:57 pace per mile) *with stroller/Gabey!*
-31st overall of 89 total runners
-7th out of 40 females
-2nd out of 6 in the F35-39 Age Group
(My 7th race of the 2018 season)




All spring I had been eyeing the half marathon at this year's Lake Run as an opportunity to run a half marathon pushing Gabe in the stroller.  We have done a handful of 10+ mile "long runs" together, including one "real" half marathon (read: an actual "event" and not just a training run).  We ran the We Care Twin Cities Half Marathon in September of 2016 when Gabe was 5 months old.  We ran with Holly-Rae as "Barnabas Runners" - or runners who ran the event with the purpose of encouraging other participants on the route (so we weren't "racing"...but rather "fun-running"). We actually ran a little more than 13.1 that day, however since I have a bit of OCD tendencies I had stopped my Garmin that day at 13.1 when we got to the finish area (so I could have separate data for the half marathon distance!) and then I re-started my watch for the extra bit that I ran as I ran some other runners in to the finish area.  According to my watch, that day I had covered 13.1 in 1:58:13 (9:02 pace).

I am SO impressed and inspired by area runner Brandi Durflinger who has run TWELVE half marathons pushing her little Boo (the most recent being the half at last Saturday's Illinois Marathon).  Her daughter is FIVE years old and the two of them are a "staple" at many BloNo area races. Brandi is a super strong woman (she's a CrossFit beast and could handedly kick my rear) and is ALWAYS smiling. I love how she and her daughter share races/adventures/memories together and I hope to follow in their amazing footsteps!

Honestly, this stroller running thing isn't easy (not that anyone says it is ;)). However, I love running and I am not about to give it up "just because" I have a little one. Additionally, I am not willing to leave him every time I want (need?) to go for a training run or do a race. First of all, we can't exactly afford to pay someone to watch him a few times a week so we can go work out...and it isn't always practical time-wise for Clint and I to work out separately so that one of us can watch him while the other works out. Stroller running, for our family's lifestyle, just makes sense right now. Also, I don't WANT to leave him - I already leave him most days due to working full time. I don't feel right leaving him even more just for my hobby. That's not to say I don't sometimes leave him behind to go run (hello, Boston Marathon! :)) - I just don't do it often. Would I be faster without the stroller? Sure, probably. But - I truly don't care. Right now, it's not worth the tradeoff.

Does Gabe love riding in the stroller? Most days, he seems to enjoy it and has excited little conversations with me regarding the many things that he sees "Ah-pane!" ("airplane"), "Dah!" ("dog"),  "Dada!" (the obvious), or "Rae-Rae? Rae-Rae?" ("Where is Holly-Rae and why can't I see her at this moment?!"). However, sure, he throws his fits every now and then. However, he's TWO. He throws fits over plenty of other things as well ;). He is safe, fed, watered, and entertained while he is in the stroller (I roll laden down with many snacks, my phone for "emergency" video entertainment, water, and a variety of little trinket toys). Frankly, it's probably good for him to know that things are not 100% "all about him" all of the time, too. Not that I NEED to rationalize it to anyone - I just wanted to throw this out there because some people do think I am crazy. I mean, I AM crazy, but that's another story. My child is cared for...and that's the important thing, right? :) OH, and as a well-meaning volunteer on the course out on the trail portion asked, YES...I AM (always!) sure that he is strapped in. HA!

My half marathon PR is 1:33:39 (set at the Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon in April of 2017). I knew that I wouldn't be anywhere near this (even if I didn't have the stroller), but leading into race week I hoped to get sub-1:45, and, preferably as close to 1:40 as possible. However, a few days before the race I learned that the course had been changed. An "unsavory" out-and-back portion out in the middle of nowhere on the country roads had been apparently removed and, in its place, a 3.1-ish mile jaunt through Timber Pointe Outdoor Center had been added. I have a long and colorful history with this camp (sticking to only pleasant memories, I was on the Run the Woods race committee from 2008-2016 and ran, volunteered or both at that event at the camp each of those years. Additionally, Clint and I had our first conversation at TPOC during a run event AND we had our wedding there in August of 2015). The camp is beautiful and I knew this course change would add a lot of character and beauty to the race. However, I knew it would also add a fair amount of challenge.  The course ran through packed gravel roads, and dirt trails - 1.8 miles of which were decently rough with exposed roots and other "trail elements." Hm.  Pushing a stroller through this?! I wasn't sure if it was possible or smart.

I chatted with teammate and friend Steve who had gone out to preview the course and I also chatted with area runner and Lake Run Club volunteer extraordinaire Seanan.  I also reached out to Brandi to see if she was planning on running the half (knowing that she is often out there for Lake Run weekend and is just at many area races in general). Steve was honest and let me know that it would be difficult through the trail portion. He said there were enough exposed roots and uneven terrain that I would really be slowed down. Brandi told me that she wasn't able to go because of a family conflict (we missed you Brandi!) but she also encouraged us to just go for it (no surprise there :).). Seanan sent me detailed maps and encouraged me to do whatever I felt comfortable doing. The Lake Run also offers 12k and 7k options. I've actually never run the 7k at this event, but I have done the 12k a number of times (I actually was the overall female winner in 2015!). Being the stubborn I tend to be, I just really had a hard time changing my thought process and committing to a distance other than the half marathon that I had set my sights on. I decided that, even if it would be slow (and it likely would be!), I really wanted to see if I could make it happen. I do love to try new challenges. A partially-trail half marathon with a stroller? Never tried that one before! Sure, why not?!

Friday night after work, Clint and Gabe and I went to Often Running to register for the race. After that, we headed out of town to go walk a chunk of the course with Holly-Rae and her two kiddos. It was a gorgeous night at the camp and we had a lot of fun walking through the trails and trees and along the water front. I tried not to let myself get too wrapped up in the emotions I have regarding that place due to some unfortunate Easterseals happenings that are in the past and instead focused on the beauty of the night and some time to unwind outside without a computer screen in front of my face.






The portions of the course that we walked were definitely "rough" compared to road running but I felt good about my ability to push the stroller through the trails. I pushed the stroller along with us as we walked and we let the kiddos run and play on the trails as we walked. I had John, Holly-Rae's almost-five-year-old, hop into the stroller at one point so I could feel what it felt like with some "weight" in it and ran a few strides in it. Sure, it wasn't "easy"...but it felt do-able.

We headed back to the car after 40 minutes or so of exploration and then went back home to eat dinner and prep for the next day. I packed a big bag of snacks and played around with some rubber bands to craft some sort of makeshift "harness" or "leash" for my cell phone - I planned to use it to let Gabe watch videos during the race should he get too bored/upset with the ride.

We headed to bed around 10 and, as it always does, morning came too early. Our alarms went off around 6 and we started readying ourselves for the big race. We planned to head out a little after 7 to get to the race site around 7:30 to be out there an hour ahead of the race start, but of course we left a little later than we planned.  As it always does, things worked out just fine and we parked, packed up the stroller (I even through a spare tire/wheel in the bottom in case I popped a tire out on the trails!) around 7:40 and started making our way to the all-too-familiar grassy area where runners congregate before and after runs "out at the Lake."

Warm-up action!
We chatted with teammates and friends and I let Gabe run around for a while. We saw fellow area stroller mama Sharon and her little guy Charles who is just a month younger than Gabe. They were there to run the 7k and had brought us some amazing sweet potato cookies (from the AMAZING Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook) for Gabe to enjoy while he chilled in the stroller during the race. As usual, the time flew by and after one quick jaunt to the porta potty it was time to head out for a warmup. I ran an easy mile with Amber, Holly-Rae, Tanya and Erin - and about a half mile in was heckled by fellow area Boston 2018 runner Aimee for running with a stroller ;) (Aimee was running the 7k and ended up winning the master's division - she's a speedy one!).

As we closed in on the end of our warmup, the National Anthem was being sung. We did our best to slink over to the group of runners as quietly as possible with our hands over our heart. When the singing was completed, I ran over to my bag quickly because I realized I had forgotten my amazing rubber band tether for my phone. I grabbed the rubber bands and tried clumsily to re-attach the mess to my phone to no avail. With like thirty seconds to go til race time, I just shoved my phone and the bands into the cup holder on my stroller and hurried off to the front-ish of the starting area.

Without any time to prepare Gabe for the LOUD (real!) cannon blast that signals the start to the race...BOOM! We were off! Thankfully, it didn't appear to faze him and I did my best to jockey for position and settle into a rhythm. I realized after starting that I hadn't started my watch, so I fumbled with that for what felt like 10 seconds (but comparing my watch time to the clock time later, I see that I was only 1 second off so who knows).

Almost immediately, Gabe cried out in a dramatic, questioning voice, "Rae-Rae? Rae-Rae?!" I replied, "Yes, Gabe, we will find Holly-Rae!" I saw Holly-Rae and Amber just a few strides ahead of me to my left and I maneuvered my way over to them.  Gabe proceeded to frantically ask for, "Rae-Rae? Rae-Rae?" repeatedly any time she was out of his line of vision. Sorry Holly-Rae. HA!

After about a mile or so, we chatted with a friendly guy who whipped out his phone to take a selfie with us - hilarious. He found us after the race and let us know that he was going to put the pictures on the Lake Run Club facebook page, and that he'd crop himself out of one of the photos for us. HA! Seriously - this is so great to have! So fun.




The three of us moved easily together (unless you count Holly-Rae running directly in front of the stroller a few times - girllll help me NOT run into your ankles!) for the first three miles. My watch had things at 7:37, 7:40 and 7:37 for the first three miles.  The very loose plan I had in my head was simply to run until the camp entrance (at mile 4.1) at around a 7:45-8:00 pace, not knowing what the trails would bring to the situation. I definitely felt the heat of the day (not complaining - just saying it was more heat than any of us were currently acclimated to!), but overall my body felt good. My right knee that has been weak and sometimes giving me grief since November has really been quieting down lately. My Achilles pain was non-existent.

I slowed a bit as we got closer to the camp, knowing I needed my own space. The night before the race I had stated that maybe I would just run really hard for the first 4 miles until I got to the camp to "bank some time" and to ensure that I was mostly by myself before entering the trails (and, in theory, out of peoples' way). Yeah, that didn't happen. As I started the race I realized how idiotic that plan was - why trash my legs on a HOT day during the first 4 miles of a 13.1-mile race?! So, since I was in a pretty big pack of people during mile 4, I knew I needed to try to back off to stay out of peoples' way with my wide load.

Mile 4 beeped in 7:45 right before we turned right onto the camp grounds.  As we entered the camp, I immediately (obviously!) felt the change from hard paved road to softer gravel beneath me. No matter, we carried on. The camp road takes you to the right and then back through a short paved sidewalk area.  Mile 5 was over in a slower but not TOO slow 8:27. Then - the REAL work began.

Miles 6 and 7 were tough. Beautiful...but tough. Somewhere during the 6th mile, friend and teammate Andy ran up behind us.  He had been loosely planning on pacing a group of runners to run a 1:45 finishing time, however he had lost all of his runners (it sounds like they had all slowed down). So, he was just "fun-running" at this point. He, seeing my struggle, offered to push the stroller for a while. However, I shrugged him off stating, "I dug my grave!" He ran with us for a while before leaving us in his dust. Thanks for the charity, Andy ;).



Honestly, I expected the bumpiness (and slower-moving pace!) of the trails to bother Gabe - but he never complained. He never made a peep, other than an occasional exclamation of, "WHOAAA!" Hilarious! He also requested, "I want home" right as we were entering the camp area. Me too, buddy! I frequently asked him if he wanted snacks - and most of the time he said no. He DID, however, accept a bag of veggie straws (a fav - "su su saz") at some point as we traversed the trails (as seen here in a picture snapped by spectathlete extraordinaire, Rachelle Leuty!).



Mile 6 beeped in 10:44 and 7 in 11:20. I had to slow to a walk during portions of both of these two miles - there was truly no way (for me at least) to navigate some portions of the trail running with a stroller. I NEVER (and I do mean never...ok, very rarely!) walk during races - nothing against it, I just don't allow myself to do it (that's not to say I don't significantly slow down at times!). Even during Boston - I never once slowed to a walk. I know that once I lose momentum in that way it is even harder to pick things back up. However, this was a situation that was quite different - it was a matter if not being physically able to keep running.





Around mile 7.25 we emerged from the camp to take a right back out on the road we had come from. This felt AMAZING! I wasn't able to return to my original sub-8 pace again for the rest of the race, however.  My legs were trashed and I was in "survival mode" for much of the remainder of the race.

Mile 8 beeped in 8:29 - significantly faster than the mile before it, at least!  I fought my way up a curvy hill here - I have many memories of running up this hill during other Lake Runs (the 12k course also runs this portion of the road) as well as during many training runs. I hate this hill! I forced my body up and over, though, and coasted a bit once I crested the hill.

Around mile 8.7, it was time for the right-hand turn that ushers in the WORST (in my opinion!!) part of running out at the lake - the straight, flat portion of road that goes on for about a mile without a turn or change in elevation.  I have nightmares about running the 12k at last year's Lake Run and the awful headwind that greeted me as I tried my darnedest to push the stroller through.

Mile 9 beeped in 8:58. Hurry up, Legs!

Gabe got excited to see the parked police car's flashing lights ("Woo woo! Woo woo!" he exclaimed) at the intersection that marks the start of the "inner loop" portion of the course.  We turned to the right and started in on the final "section" of the race. I won't lie, the inner loop portion seemed to drag on forever. I was toast!  Right after mile 10 beeped (in 8:57 - staying steady with 9, I guess, if nothing else), I heard honking and cheering over my shoulder. Tim, Gracie, and John rolled by in Tim's sweet car, waving. Thanks guys! This was a mental boost!

Surprisingly, Gabe never once requested my phone (he, like most children of the 2000s, enjoys taking over Mama's phone to watch videos). It remained in my cupholder the entire race! Shortly after 10 miles, I peeked down at my phone and saw that my sister Auntie Megan had texted. So, I decided to call her - why not?! We called at mile 10.6 to say hello and to tell her how hot we were. Ha! We didn't chat long as she was at a park with her two littles and was doing her best to keep her youngest from jumping into a pond. You know, #lifewithtwoyearolds.

I started to look forward to seeing Clint at some point. He had been running the 12k event and had told me that after he finished he was going to jog back to find me and Gabe to run us in.  I knew that this meant that I would likely see him around mile 11 or 12.  Well, 11 beeped in 10:12 (thanks to a walking break to make the quick phone call to Auntie Megan - HA!) with no sight of Clint. Darn. We soldiered on. Gabe was still awake and still in great spirits. I offered him water periodically from the bottle I had packed for him, but he only accepted it a few times. I think he stayed decently cool with his own personal awning on the stroller.

Shortly after mile 12 (which beeped in 9:55), we turned to the right out of the "inner loop" portion and saw Clint waiting just beyond the water table that was stationed there. Gabe exclaimed, "HI Dada!" A somewhat shocked elderly man who was standing in front of Clint and facing us looked at Gabe like, "What?!" One of his "buddies" started laughing and the whole group of guys manning the water stop started joking around having a seemingly great time over this. They didn't really notice Clint standing there until he said, to me, "You have some explaining to do!" The guys then realized that Gabe was actually calling his actual Dada "Dada" and not this random other guy. HA!

Thankfully, with the addition of Clint, I was able to pick up my pace a bit again. We chatted as we ran about his race (he had done well - finishing the 12k 3rd overall in 48:19). I noticed that one girl had passed us at the water stop when we slowed down a bit and I decided in my mind that I was going to pick her off before we made the final right-hand turn around the corner by the lake. I did have enough juice left to pick her off and we continued up the ascent in the road to the right.

Clint ran ahead and snapped a few pictures as we closed in on the finish. I wouldn't say I "love" many running photos of myself - but I kind of do love this pic! I look pretty determined and Gabe is just chillin', hydrating for the both of us!



Mile 13 beeped in 8:51 and we were able to pick things up a bit (though I mentioned to Gabe, "Mama doesn't have enough left in her to finish as strong as we usually can!") to a 7:29 pace for the final 0.1.

We crossed the finish in 1:57:15...definitely not my strongest half marathon, but it WAS a stroller marathon PR (hey, it's a thing! HA!). And - this was a definite mental and physical battle that I am proud of. We gathered our medal (Gabe was excited about it this time - sometimes he doesn't really care about the medal at all) and I let Gabe finally "Out!" of the stroller. While I wasn't overly concerned with age group placing at this race (seeing as I had no idea if I would even make it out of those woods with the stroller!), I was pleased to visit the computer screen with the scrolling results to learn that I had earned second in my age group (second to Holly-Rae, WOOOT girl!!) and earned a sweet beer glass (to add to our beverage-ware collection - we literally have more race glasses than "real" glasses in our house).



I didn't run a cool-down (I figured some of my slower middle-to-end miles more than counted for a cool down...ha!), but walked around for a few minutes to stretch my legs before joining a few other teammates at the finish area to cheer runners in and hand out some water.

THANKS to Mitch for allowing me (and, really Gabe too!) to be a part of the Often Running Racing Team! Thanks to my teammates for the camaraderie, inspiration, and support.  Thanks to Steve and Seanan for the info on the course and for coaching me through it! Thanks to Brandi (and Boo!) for the inspiration and for helping to convince me that we could do this! Thanks to Coach/Daddy/Hubby Clint for getting us through all of the things and for taking such good care of us. Thanks to Gabe for being the best co-pilot and the sweetest and (usually!) most tolerant little boy ever. Thanks to Saucony for the sweet gear (wore my prized Liberties again! I wasn't sure how they had "dried out" post-Boston...I realized as I laced them up race morning that I hadn't worn them since that day! However, they were just PERFECT!). Thanks to Susan for my sweet shoe-jewelry that reminds me that I am a Mother first and a Runner second. Love my community, those named here and those unnamed!

Next Up: Steamboat 15k, most likely! Maybe - Double Diamond Dash 5k?

No comments: