Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I GOT TO GO ON A RUN!

Ok, in all actuallity....what I did last night can really barely "count" as "a run" ;). But, hey, after 3 weeks (who can believe it?!) of NOT RUNNING...I will take what I can get!

Yesterday I saw my PT, David, over at the SEC. He did some ultrasound therapy on my achilles and inspected things, etc. He decided by the end of the examination that I should try running that evening.

He said it should be on a treadmill, as it had more "give" than the pavement. So, I made mental plans immediately to go to the gym the second I got off of work. He instructed me to do 5 minutes of running at a 5-6 mile-per-hour pace, followed by 2-3 minutes of walking. He told me to repeat this interval so I completed it a total of 3 times.

As soon as I got off of work, I headed over to Four Seasons 2. I hopped on a treadmill and walked 5 minutes to warm up (at a 3 mph pace). I then upped the mph to 6 (so a 10 minute/mile pace. Painfully slow ;) ). Almost immediately I felt some mild-moderate pain in my right Achilles.

Darn it all.

I pushed through it...it truly wasn't severe, just a nagging mild-moderate pain.

5 minutes walking ("warm up")
5 minutes running.
2 minutes walking.
5 minutes running.
2 minutes walking.
5 minutes running.
2 minutes walking.

...for a grand total of 26 minutes. I ended up going for 2.05 miles.

It wasn't pretty.

It wasn't comfortable.

My mind screamed "faster! faster! faster!"

But...

That little taste of my much-loved friend running brought a bit of joy to my day.

(I should add that I got up at 4:30am to go to a 5:15am "hour of power" spinning class at the gym yesterday, too :). So, I did get a "real" workout in on top of the baby-running-adventure :) ).

I popped some ibuprofin to hopefully bring down some swelling last night.

The Achilles is "creaking" again today.

Ugh.

We'll see....

Praying for healing...and doing my best to follow the doctors' and PT's instructions and work hard to work through this.

Oh, Marathon 4...I want to register for you...but I must have patience...

3 comments:

Romo said...

First, it's another one of those four hours of sleep days: At the risk of angering someone with brown hair and a 'creaking' achilles...

To paraphrase Pogo:


You have met the enemy and 'they' is 'you'.

Pain is nature's way of telling you to stop. Situations where pain has people yelling, 'more,' typically involve practices that I don't think you want to know about. And just so i'm clear, neither do I.

That being said, just because the medical professional gave you a license to run, did not mean you should abuse the license.

Okay, I'm done beating you up and of course you can tell me to leap into a deep valley of di-hydro oxygen.

And, just to be fair, I don't listen to me, much, either. :) As the song goes: The boy, in the belfry, he's crazy.

You're too smart to keep doing this to yourself or have you forgotten to quit dreaming and get on the beam :)

Never forget that you're intelligent, thrilling and amazing. Lastly, I bought a piano. Well, this things read pretty disjointedly, so, I'm off.

Rachel Lynn said...

Romo, you are a funny one ;).

And yes...I am definitely my own worst enemy.

I won't be running tonight, btw, even though it was suggested I give it a try. After Tuesday night's torture...I figured it would probably be best to forgo it tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a little baby run again...we'll see.

I AM trying to get "back on the beam"!! That's all I really want! I just think I am trying to get back up too quickly, darn it all...

Intelligent, thrilling, and amazing?! You might not sing those praises if you really knew me ;).

Have fun with the new piano!! :)

Romo said...

I think most people are intelligent, thrilling and amazing: they simply have forgotten their abilities in those areas. In my personal life, I can definitely say that the hotel of lost companions awaits with heated pool and bar.

If you go to the ISU library, you can get a library card.I have a book to suggest, yet it won't be back on the shelf until November 30. It's by Raymond M. Bergner:Pathological Self-Criticism: Assesment and Treatment.

I know you're saying 'whoa boy.' Just trust me on this. I cannot stand self help books, but research texts I love and this is a good one. Especially for you. It's on the fifth floor of the library under RC445.4.S42 B471995. Regardless, it's a choice I'll leave to you.

Now, as far as not seeing yourself as those aforementioned things. I am always amazed that people that believe in a God, and by default, are spiritually immortal, never revel in the all the amazing stuff they do and are capable of.

I'll check your blogs in December. We're making Turducken for Thanksgiving. Be well.