Monday, March 11, 2013

home

Currently I am in the midst of enjoying a rare week off...from each of my jobs (but not, of course, from tri training!).  It's "spring break" for the elementary school where I work full-time and I took time off from my other places of employment as well to enjoy a week completely off from most job responsibilities.  I do have a few work-related tasks to tend to this week, but I will be completing these remotely from my laptop and will not set foot in either of my offices until next week.  It feels unsettling...but good.

Weeks ago, I made plans with my sister to drive up to the Quad Cities, where she lives with her husband and their baby, yesterday (Sunday) and offered to babysit their sweet daughter today (Monday) to help them avoid childcare costs for one day.  Naturally, my kind offer was self-serving as well...I was MORE than happy to spend an entire day with my sweet niece!  We also made plans with our parents to meet up for dinner to celebrate some family birthdays, which we did tonight at one of my family's favorite restaurants.

During each of my trips to the Quad Cities...as soon as I see signs for the John Deere Road, 53rd Street or Brady Street exits...I feel instantly "better".  There's no other way to describe it...other than I just feel like I am "home."

I know "home" can be anywhere you make it...whether it's where a majority of your loved ones are, where your heart is, or where your soul feels most at rest.  For me..."home" is the Quad Cities.  I guess it's because most of my major life-milestones originate in or bring me back to the Quad City vicinity.  I was born outside of the Quad Cities, in Morrison, IL.  I grew up not far from Davenport, in Clinton, Iowa.  When I was 5, we moved to the Rockford, IL area but still made frequent sojourns back to the Quad City area to visit family here.  I moved back in 2001 when I started my undergraduate work at Augustana in Rock Island.  My family "followed" me when my dad got a job at John Deere that same year.

I started college here.  Fell in love.  Changed my major a number of times.  Found my true vocation.  Forged some true and lasting friendships.  Made some superficial friends.  Endured heartbreak, confusion, doubt and fear...along with joy, happiness and delight.  Performed with the Augustana Symphonic Band in many different cities, states...and in England.  Learned how to make my own oboe reeds (seriously).  Consumed copious amounts of Whitey's Ice Cream and Rudy's Tacos.  Drank my first beer.  Here, after four years of various academic and social challenges, I was handed a diploma signifying I had earned my Bachelor of Arts degree.  Here, I said wedding vows and celebrated my marriage with family and close friends on a beautiful September day.  Here, I told my sister about my then-upcoming divorce, over coffee at a Starbucks on a rainy November day.  She was the first of my family members I shared the news with.  Each time I pass that Starbucks, I remember her tears.

And...here is where I first laced up my running shoes, inspired and encouraged by my dear sister Megan (still my favorite running partner).  She urged me to join her for the Maple City 4, a four-mile race through the streets of our parents' hometown, Geneseo, in 2003.  At the age of 20, this was my first road race that was longer than a mile (during high school I ran the State Street Mile twice in the Rockford area).  I ran the race in 33:53 at a pace of 8:28.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but had a decently fun time.  Not a bad showing for my first race, looking back!

Later that summer, I ran my second race:  the Firecracker 5k on the 4th of July in Moline.  I managed to finish this is 25:43, which I think is quite decent considering the fact that I still had no idea what I was doing.   My third race was the Bix 7 in Davenport the following summer, in 2004.  The Bix 7 is a 7-mile road race through the hilly streets of Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa at the end of July.  This is a HOT and challenging race that draws a field of 15,000+ runners.  Thousands of spectators line the streets, some offering up ice cubes, grapes, candy or other items of refreshment.  Some even set up sprinklers in their yards and have the water pointed toward the street, inviting runners to enjoy a bit of cool relief as they pass.  It has become one of my favorite parts of each summer...and I have run this race every year since 2004.  This year will be my tenth Bix! 

In 2009 I ran the half marathon at the Quad Cities Marathon (held each year at the end of September) while my sister ran the full marathon event.  The course is set up so that the half and full courses actually share the same route for the first 8+ miles, so I was able to run with Megan until the courses split.  It was amazing to watch her cross the finish line of this race... her FIRST marathon just under two hours after I finished my half.  I was registered to run my own first full marathon just two weeks later in Chicago and watching my sister victoriously cross that finish line gave me the inspiration and strength I would need to finish my big race.

I ran the full marathon event at the Quad Cities Marathon in both 2010 and 2011.  In 2011 I set my current marathon PR...3:49:46.  That was a tough, tough race.  Until mile 20, I had my sights set on a 3:40 finish.  My time at mile 20 was 2:49.  I should have been able to hold tight to my pace and finish those final 6.2 miles in ~50 minutes.  But...a torrential downpour began and I gave up.  I didn't have it in me to push hard for that final 10k.  Still, I was (and am!) proud of that finish time.  Someday I hope to do better...but for now, the Quad Cities Marathon is home of my marathon PR!

I've run countless miles in the Quad City area...the streets of Moline, Rock Island, Davenport and Bettendorf all silently bear my footprints.  I've run along the beautiful Mississippi.  I've run over Centennial Bridge, the 74 Bridge and, my personal favorite to run over, The Arsenal Bridge.  I've run on Arsenal Island and on Route 74.  On Christmas Day in 2011, I ran 22 miles along the Hennepin Canal in Geneseo by myself just because I wanted to.  That run still stands out in my memory as one of my favorites of all time.  I've run late at night and I've run in the early morning, witnessing drunks stumbling home at 6am from the previous evening's festivities.  I've run by myself, I've run with my sister and I've run with other friends.  I've run many, many miles here...and I know I will complete many more.

And now...I have a big reason to feel my heart tugged to this area.  This big reason is wrapped up in a small package:  my 3.5 month old niece.  My sister gave birth to my first niece last November and my entire family is in love.  I've heard that babies change everything, and while I haven't had the opportunity to experience that for myself, it's been fascinating to watch the changes in my sister and brother in law as their lives as parents take off.  I love this sweet girl more than I can fittingly describe and eagerly anticipate sharing milestones of her life, whether they be here in the Quad Cities or elsewhere.

My ties to the Quad Cities are strong...not only is this where my family physically currently resides, but many factors that have made me who I am stem from this area.  Maybe I will never again live here full-time, or perhaps I will someday.  Regardless, I am thankful for this place that has shaped and inspired me.  I know I will return often.  And, I know that I will continue to feel that familiar tinge of sadness every time I drive away.

There's a certain bittersweetness I taste during each visit as well.  Tonight at dinner, I recalled my wedding rehearsal dinner that took place in the private room next to the table where my family dined.  That event took place over five years ago and I don't know if anyone else at the table gave it a single thought tonight, but I did.  The college campus and cities I love hold not just memories of classes and parties and lectures and reading and graduate school applications and a diploma, training and sweating and stumbling and races, but also memories of shattered dreams and broken wedding vows.  Still, each time I come back I draw a bit more strength from my experiences here.  Many things have changed for me personally over the years, but many things remain the same. 

My parents have instilled in me many things, but namely these three: a deep-rooted love for family, faith in God, and a strong work ethic.  I have a lot of growing to do in each of these areas...but I know those three things will carry me through the next chapters of my life, wherever they may be written.

No comments: