Wednesday, March 13, 2013

takin' it on the road...

I'm currently traveling to the east coast with a group of girl friends for a little R & R.  I'm quite excited, even though it's a bit of a mental stretch for me to turn OFF my work laptop(s) and leave them behind.  A little vacation (hopefully) will be good for me!

I'm typing this post on my iPad in the "notes" app because I am too cheap to pay for the in-flight WiFi...I just plan to copy/paste into Blogger upon my arrival.  Ha!

Currently, I am on a streak of consecutive days of completed workouts...sixty-one days during which  I've completed at least one workout per day.  My goal is to reach one-hundred consecutive days of completed workouts.  My biggest "requirement" for myself in this quest is that I cannot cheat...a "workout" must consist of 30+ minutes of physical activity.  My shortest workout during that sixty-one day streak has been 40 minutes (on the treadmill) and time spent working out in one day goes up to 4+ hours after that.  The average (my rough and un-scientific estimation) is probably 1.25 hours on a given day.

I enjoy goals, whether they be self-inflicted or imposed by others...parents, teachers, bosses, co-workers.  I have a somewhat obsessive personality and can get almost "addicted" to the acts necessary to carry out for completion of the goals I'm working toward.  Yes, working out for one-hundred (and, I dare say, one-hundred PLUS ;-)) consecutive days is quite an undertaking...and has proven to be a challenge at times, however I'm truly having fun trying to meet my goal.  Additionally, I've had to get a little creative at times so that I could complete a requisite workout on especially busy days.

I have a busy, active life (like most people who are close to me!) and juggling workouts in the midst of other responsibilities (may multiple demanding jobs, for example!) is definitely a challenge.  However, I have made working out a priority for a number of years now...it has simply been something that wasn't necessarily a "choice" and was something that I HAD to do most days.  I get irked when people scoff at me saying things such as, "must be nice to have that kind of time," "I'd work out too...if I didn't have:  so much to do at work...or kids...or x, y, or z."  The fact is...we all have the same 24 hours in a day.  Sure, some of us may have more (or less) responsibilities than others...but in most situations what we do in a day boils down to personal choices and priorities.  I've made my share of lifestyle changes to ensure I have time to complete my workouts....getting up earlier, staying up later, seldom sitting down in front of the TV to just "veg", hurrying over to the gym over my lunch break during many work days to cram in a workout.  Ok...I'm stepping OFF of my soapbox now ;-)...

Even prior to this one-hundred day goal, I've had to get creative at times to fit in my workouts.  I've gotten lost in North Carolina and ended up in the middle of a summer camp when trying to drive to a YMCA to swim some laps while on a trip for work (I ended up giving up and going shopping...there was a Lulu nearby!!;-)).  I've researched and attended yoga classes in a variety of cities while traveling.  I've attempted to swim "laps" in tiny hotel pools...once in the rain in an outdoor pool.  I've run on countless treadmills in a variety of locations:  in friends' homes, in my apartment complex mini-"gym", at the student rec center where I work, and most recently I borrowed my sister's gym code to use a treadmill at the center she uses to work out (shhh!).  I've done yoga and crunches and (wimpy) push-ups on hotel room floors, in my living room and next to my bed.  I've spun countless "miles" on my bike attached to my trusty trainer in my living room as well as dragged the whole bike/gear/trainer mess to friends' homes and cycle shops for group rides.  I've taken spinning classes at three gyms in my town and some while traveling as well.  And, I always, ALWAYS bring my running shoes with me wherever I'm going.  

One of my favorite things to do while traveling is to explore the locale on my feet.  Sometimes I get a LITTLE nervous running alone outside in unfamiliar areas and may default to an indoor treadmill...but I love to run outdoors whenever I am traveling with friends/family (or when I feel comfortable/safe enough solo).  My favorite (non-race) runs to date include:
-Triangle, Virginia with my sister and now sister-in-law...we traveled East for my brother's graduation from Marine Officer Training School a few years ago and stayed near the Marine Corps Quantico base.  We went on a number of runs in a beautiful nearby state park, despite my mother's pleas to stay closer to the hotel because she didn't want is to "end up on Dateline"
-Phoenix, Arizona...I ran along a beautiful reservoir in the stifling spring morning heat...THAT was a sweaty run!!!
-Hawaii...I ran around the resort I stayed at as well as along part of the Kona bike course
-San Diego...the afternoon prior to my seventh marathon this past December, my brother took me on a run through a forest preserve near his apartment...gorgeous and HILLY!

I've been blessed with some pretty amazing friends and family members, as well as co-workers/colleagues  who are being quite supportive of my Ironman training.  It's fun to field questions from people curious about my latest training endeavors or upcoming races/events.  In addition, I've received a number of kind texts, calls and cards each bearing well-wishes pertaining specifically to my training.  I am fully aware that most of my friends/family don't understand what I'm doing or why I'm doing it...and likely find me crazy...which is okay!  I don't expect non-triathletes to "get it" :-). I am, though, grateful for the love and support I've received along the way.  Most recently, when visiting my friend Brooke she gifted me with some fun treats...a bag of goodies from a shop near her town that sells hand-made soaps!  She gave me a delightfully-scented bar of soap designed to take the chlorine smell off of the skin post-swimming!  Additionally, I received two yummy lip glosses and some bath salts to soak my tired muscles!  In her words, " I wanted to get you something for running or biking or swimming, but I don't know much about what you need for those things!"  Brooke, the gift is perfect...and those lip glosses will be AWESOME to pack during long summer bike rides (I LOATHE it when my lips get chapped from the wind/sun while biking!).

Tomorrow, Day 1 of our mini-vacation, some of us have plans to attend a 90-minute hot yoga class near where we are staying.  In addition, my tri coach has prescribed a 30-minute "easy" run for me to complete tomorrow.  I'm hoping to take it outside for this run...but if it doesn't seem feasible, there's a fitness center complete with treadmills that I will have access to.  Tomorrow it should be a breeze to complete day sixty-two!

Friday, Saturday and Sunday we will be traveling to a more remote, mountainous area...I am excited!  I'm hoping to take some scenic, LONG outdoor runs...perhaps some with my trusty compadre and fellow traveler Jillian by my side.  I'm also hoping the pool near where we are staying is long enough to get in at least a mediocre pool workout.  Swimming is definitely my current weakest of the three events in triathon...and I haven't swam since Friday!  I definitely need to get back in the pool and keep progressing in my abilities in the water.

It will definitely take some planning, flexibility and creativity to make it all happen...but I am determined to return home from this little mini-vacay with sixty-five days under my belt!

Happy training, all!

~Rachel Lynn

No comments: