Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The perfect distance

The past few weeks have shown me that the half marathon, 13.1 miles, is my perfect distance. 

As I was explaining to a friend recently...I've realized that 5k's just aren't for me.  In my opinion, in general they seem to be for
a) new runners who need an easily attainable distance to train for,
b) casual runners satisfied with the respectable distance of 3+ miles who don't necessarily have the desire to do longer races, or
c) super fast runners who can be absolutely speedy at a short distance and bring in 3 consecutive ~6 minute-miles. 

Let me be clear...I am NOT poo-pooing at 5ks (in fact, I am particularly impressed with those who fall into category (c)!  My body was just NOT made to go fast.  Or, if it was, I can't seem to make it do that.  I hate hurting too darn much!!)...simply saying they aren't MY "best fit race."  Since they aren't a great fit for me...unless there's something super special about the event...I just can't justify paying $$$ to register to run a 5k.

Marathons are still my true "loves"...but there are too many variables with a marathon.  They are just too long...and there's too much time for pain/injuries/nutrition issues/GI distress.  Half marathons...for me anyway....are simply perfect.

Exhibit A:
My first race of this season was Saturday, April 27th.  My dear sister Megan and I registered for this race together.  It was to be Megan's first race post-baby!  Macy, my adorable niece, was just five months old at the time of this race.  I am VERY proud of my sister for putting forth all of the extra effort needed to train for a half marathon after giving birth and while caring for an infant!  Megan, as I've written about many times, is who spurred me on to running years ago.  I was more than happy to be able to support her in her first race "back" after baby!

In the weeks leading up to the race I couldn't quite decide how I wanted to treat the race.  I had earned my half marathon PR at the U of I half marathon the previous year (1:48:20).  Part of me thought that perhaps a faster PR could be in the cards for me at this year's event.  But, an even larger part of me thought that this was probably a lofty goal.  I had not been running much in the weeks leading up to the event.  The longest run I'd completed in April prior to that weekend was a 7 mile run on Sunday, April 14.  My left foot had been bothering me for about a month...I'd received a tentative diagnosis of Morton's Neuroma from two different physical therapists and had subsequently been taking it "easy", mostly swimming and biking.

Even in spite of the foot pain, I had no doubt that I'd still be able to at least finish the race.  I toyed with the idea of running alongside Megan for the entire race for support.  I probably SHOULD have been a good sister and run with her :).

But...on race morning, I felt great.  The weather was cool...the rain that had been forecasted was holding off.  My GI system and nutrition felt on track.  All systems appeared to be a "go".  So...I made the decision to go for it.  Selfish...maybe (sorry Meg!! ;))...but I am glad I challenged myself.  It paid off!!  I smashed my former PR, besting it by 1:31, and replaced it with a new one of 1:46.49.  Not too shabby for my first race of the year!  It felt good to know that my training seemed to be paying off!

Even better than my PR, though, was the fact that I felt STRONG throughout the entire race!  My body felt great...the best I've ever felt running in any race, ever!  My foot did start hurting around mile 10, but it wasn't anything unbearable by any means.  It didn't slow me down, and I did my best to force it out of my mind.  After the race, I truly felt on top of the world.


Me with Meg after the U of I Half Marathon


 
Me after the Quad Cities Distance Classic...at my alma mater
**hmmmm...apparently my blue Lulu pullover brings me some half-marathon luck!  I just realized I wore the same top to both events this year!  Ha!!**

Exhibit B: 
My third race of the season (second running event) was this past Sunday...the Quad Cities Distance Classic Half Marathon.  This was my first year participating in this event.  I had been planning to go home to the Quad Cities this past weekend for my niece's dedication at Megan and her husband's church on Mother's Day.  On a whim about two weeks ago, I Googled "Quad Cities races May 12" and noted that the Quad Cities Distance Classic was indeed on that day...and it was on Augustana College's campus!  TOO PERFECT!!

I decided to wait until the morning of the event to decide for certain if I was going to do the event.  If it interfered with family plans...if it was raining...or if I didn't feel well, I would simply not attend.  But...if all of the stars seemed to be aligned...I would go.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I felt great...so I ate a banana and a KIND bar (my pre-race meal of choice!) and set out on my way to Augie's campus.  I found a prime parking spot in the Centennial Hall parking lot and made my way to Carver Hall where the registration and packet pickup was held.  After securing everything I needed to participate, I made my way back to my car where I sat in the warmth for a while...it was a chilly morning!

Right before the start, I made my way out of my car and walked a short distance to the starting line.  The weather was cool, but not freezing.  There was a bit of wind, but it wasn't horrid. 

The race started...and I felt fantastic.  The route started downhill, but soon began a short uphill jaunt.  The course was actually pretty hilly.  The wind added to the challenge for some portions of the race.  As I was running, I felt fantastic.  Actually, until about mile 8 I was envisioning a NEW PR.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least slightly disappointed that I didn't get a PR ;)....my time Sunday fell short of my time two weeks ago at the U of I by a mere TWO seconds!  My official finish time was 1:46.51!  Until the official times were posted later last night, I actually thought there was a chance that my finish time was identical to the finish time at the U of I event.  How funny would that have been?!

I am VERY proud of my pace...8:09 average per mile for the race, which is fantastic for me!  I'm the girl whose comfortable/default pace is 9:30!  As I previously stated, I DON'T like hurting.  I love running...and and can run for hours on end...but would prefer to run slower for longer than faster for a shorter time period.  That said, I am slowly adjusting to the mental game of becoming OK with pain...probably a GOOD thing as the Ironman date only looms closer and closer!

My splits are as follows:

Mile 1:  7:39
Mile 2:  8:04
Mile 3:  7:59
Mile 4:  7:50
Mile 5:  7:23
Mile 6:  8:03
Mile 7:  8:03
Mile 8:  8:07
Mile 9:  8:17
Mile 10: 8:17
Mile 11: 8:19
Mile 12: 8:20
Mile 13: 8:10

Ok...I realize that in an ideal situation, one would run negative splits (or get faster as the race goes on).  My pace was fairly steady (right below 8 min/mile) for 8 miles.  After that I was pretty solidly around 8:20 for the remainder of the race.  BUT...my pace IS much faster than it USED to be.  So, I consider that a big victory for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest of my 2013 racing season after my two solid (for me!) half marathons!

This next weekend is a new event in the Peoria area...The River City Marathon.  There are the following distances available:  5k, 25k, marathon and marathon relay.  I had tentatively been planning to complete the marathon relay with some friends, but the plans fell through.  I still want to attend the event, but am undecided on distance.  As previously stated, I feel like the 5k would be a waste of $$ (for me)...I've never run a 25k so that could be a fun experience...but part of me wants to just go for the full marathon.  Why not?!  I will probably just wait until Saturday (packet pickup!) to decide.  We'll see...


No comments: