Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Da Deer Run Run {12-12-15}

Da Deer Run Run Cross Country Race (8k)
12/12/15
50:16
10:08/mi pace
1st in 30-34 age group....out of ONE (HAHA!!)
42/72 overall
20 weeks, 1 day pregnant 
(Baby's 10th race)

So when Clint determined that he wouldn't be working on Saturday last week, he informed me that he was going to run Da Deer Run Run.  I told him if he was going...I might as well!  I had never run this race and I like a new challenge. Plus, I wanted to get in at least ten races while I was pregnant (gotta get an even number)...and this could be the tenth.  Why not?!  Well, Friday night he decided that instead of doing the race...he wanted to do some sort of epic long run (TO Comlara where the race was held) with Andy and then spectate the race.  Sure, fine, whatever :).  So, Clint got up around 6 to begin his pre-run rituals...and I languished in bed (my fav!) for a while before getting up around 8.

I headed up to the race solo around 9:40...kinda weird since I usually have at least Clint with me!  I saw Tanya pretty much as soon as I got there and we got in line to pay for our entries.  I was sure to grab a large shirt (long-sleeved...hooray!) to add to my small-but-growing collection of clothing that will fit my expanding midsection.

Shortly after getting our bibs and shirts we saw Andy and Clint walk up through the fog in their sweaty, reflective-gear-sporting glory. Andy had run 13.5 and Clint had run 15.5 miles and they were both high on life and goofy, as always.  We were soon joined by Carol, Paul, Amber, Mike, and Joe.  Tanya headed out for a warmup (the oddly-humid air was already warming me up enough ;) so I opted out) and I told her I would meet her at the start.
My #1!
Ready for action! (PS Can you believe this pic was taken in December in the midwest?!)
SO excited to run. Or something.
Soon it was time for the runners (all 72 of us...small field in spite of a really unseasonably warm day...where WAS everybody?!) to gather at the start.  The race director started going over the course and I had to stop listening as it got overwhelming for my small brain. I simply trusted that the course would be well marked (which it was...the bright orange line that was painted on the ground throughout the entire course was ever-so-helpful!) and that there would always be someone within sight in front of me (which there wasn't).

Before long...we were off! OOF! Holy humidity! I was SO thankful I had made a last-minute decision to shed the long-sleeve layer I had been wearing under my short-sleeved OR top before the start.  Dressing this preggo body is starting to get tough...I wanted to wear the under-layer to make sure my stomach was covered at all times seeing as the short-sleeved shirt is starting to ride up a bit.  Who wants a flash of pregnant belly?!  Uh no one, thankyouverymuch.  Oh well, comfort definitely won out and I am glad I made that choice...overheating would've been miserable.  *Who would've known we wold be thinking about overheating while running in December?!*

According to my watch, my splits were as follows:

1- 9:11
2- 9:59
3- 10:30
4- 10:27
5- 9:50
(My watch clocked this 8k course at 5.04...who knows what happened; I either ran off course, the course was indeed long, or my watch was jacked :))

I "fun-run/ran" a majority of the race with Tanya...now that's not to say I don't feel like I worked hard.  This course was definitely challenging and the heat added another factor!  Then there were the steeplechase barriers...sheesh.  Were I not pregnant, I would've made an effort to jump over them.  In my current state, I decided the best option was to do the "hop and scoot over" method so as not to risk crashing into the barriers and falling.  I am sure the spectators would agree that my technique could be dubbed "Beauty and Grace."
Beauty and Grace
There was a woman not far behind us for a majority of the race and somewhere around the final half mile it *seemed* like she was making a move to pass us. Nope. My competitive drive (who knew?!) got the better of me and I pulled away from both of them to ensure that she wouldn't pass me.  Turns out, Tanya had the same thought ;)...and ended up finishing just 4 seconds behind me.  Atta girl, Tanya :).

It was fun to see familiar faces at the finish line...thanks Amber (and Sophia!:)) and Paul for volunteering!  It was also great to see Rich Beal, Kelly Bowers and her husband Keith.  Of course my personal favorite smile to see was Clint's (awwww). Or maybe Andy's.

Crossing the finish line....

Turns out I got first in my age group.  Turns out I was the ONLY female in the 30-34 age group. OH WELL!!!! Shouldn't have stayed home, ladies!! ;)

Big thanks to the Often Running Racing Team for the camaraderie and support.  It was a really fun day of running and hanging out.  Thanks to those who volunteered to make it all possible! :)  Thanks to Coach Clint, to Mitch and to Adidas for the great gear.

Next up? Christmas! New Year's!  Coach Clint has determined that I need to get in 500 total miles before this baby arrives. I'm currently at 356...we'll see.  I would also like to get in a few more "races" and plan to show my face at a few winter events either running or volunteering as much as I can.

Happy (warm-ish!) December running, all! :)
~Rachel

No comments: