Friday, December 11, 2015

Oglesby Turkey Trot {11-26-15}

Oglesby Turkey Trot (3 miles)
11/26/15
7:43/mi pace
2/58 in 30-34F age group (the race website actually has me listed in their results in the 30-34M age group...and according to that list I got 14th out of 58 males in the 30-34 group. Sweet!)
128/ 1104
17 weeks, 6 days pregnant
(Baby's 9th race)

This was my second time running the Oglesby Turkey Trot. I really LOVE this race. It is well-run and festive...but somehow I had blocked from my memory of last year's race the fact that this course is a hilly monster. Also, I hadn't really paid attention to the weather forecast because I count on Clint to be my personal weather man. He hadn't really mentioned the possibility of rain so it wasn't even on my personal radar so to speak.

We left home around 6:45 and arrived to the race site around 7:35am. Clint was helping Mitch sell gear for Often Running so we headed inside to get situated and ready to go. As usual, I was wearing way too many articles of clothing because I was "so cold"....winter running tights, long sleeves, etc. I danced around between the bathroom, the Often Running set-up and our car outside (where I finally changed into capri-length pants from the tights and took off the long sleeves under my OR short-sleeved top) before heading to the start line with a few minutes until the start. I did a few jogging "strides" around the parking lot to warm up a bit before joining the group at the start.

After the National Anthem...we were off! I had lined up (by chance) next to a woman who appeared to be even more pregnant than I was. Now, as I am learning through this experience, it is difficult to tell how far along someone is simply by the size of her "bump." I've gotten a lot of comments like, "Are you SURE you're pregnant?!" because apparently my stomach hasn't looked quite "large enough" (I assure you that I am...and I have gained ~20 lbs and it is continuing to g-r-o-w!). So, anyway, I am very VERY cautious about making any comments about someone's pregnant body. I wanted to comment to this girl something along the lines that she was awesome for running while pregnant...but I refrained. I mean, what if she just LOOKED pregnant but actually had had the baby last week? Sigh. Anyway, she was shorter/smaller than me in general but had a great-looking (presumably) baby-bump that appeared to be at a later state than mine (right, wrong or otherwise). So, I had it in my head that I should try to stick with or run faster than her. Well, she took off faster than I felt like I could...so I let her go (and proceeded to feel bad about myself...I know, I know. Dumb...just being honest). I kept her in my sights, though, and wrapped up Mile 1 in 7:23. 

Right as Mile 2 started...the heavens opened and began to pour allllll over us. At this moment I was so thankful that I had shed the thick tights (they would've gotten so gross and heavy from the rain!) and the long sleeves. I knew I looked like a drowned rat and wondered if I had put mascara on the day prior...because if I had, I certainly hadn't washed it off and it was then likely running down my face. Whatever. I put my head down a bit and soldiered on through the wetness.

About 0.2 into Mile 2 I passed my "pregnant sorta friend" as we descended a small hill following a left-hand turn. She was breathing noisily and I felt sorry for her. I wanted to say something encouraging but chickened out and kept on my way. Toward the end of the second mile is this steep descent. Rainwater was flowing down the hill and I backed off my pace. No need to turn this into a slip-n-slide situation and end up flat on my stomach. Mile 2 ticked off in 7:40. Slower than the first mile, but I really didn't care.

I cursed the fact that I was running this race at all as the third mile began. I'm PREGNANT for crying out loud! What was I doing running 3 hard HILLY miles in the FREAKING RAIN?! Well, no way out but up...so I pressed onward. As I neared the final terrible hill a young boy next to me audibly groaned. This made me laugh out loud and gave the the energy to get up and over the thing.

As I got to the square area near the school/finish line...I saw friend/teammate Paul (who had obviously already finished). I thought about shouting something to him because I didn't think he saw me (later I found out he definitely didn't), but I was way too tired and needed every last ounce of energy to make it to the finish.  I chose a few people to pass in the final quarter mile. I managed to pass 2 of the 4 of them....and crossed the finish in 23:09/7:43 pace. Last year's non-pregnant time was 21:50/7:17 pace.

As soon as I crossed the finish, I high-tailed it inside...in desperate need of WARMTH. It had stopped raining, but I was soaked and cold. I rescued Clint who was getting his ear chatted off by some lady ;) and shared with him my {surprising} time. I mentioned that I hadn't seen the other boys and wondered if they were looking for me by the finish. I walked back outside for a minute...didn't see anyone...so headed back in.

After a while, Mike came in and I learned that...indeed...everyone WAS looking for me. Apparently I said that I was hoping to finish around 30 minutes so they didn't even think to start looking for me around 23 minutes. Uh...sorry guys. Either (a) Andy made it up and I never said that or (b) I plead pregnancy brain/messed up expectations. SORRY! Glad you knew it was ok to come back inside once you saw a lady smoking a cigarette finishing up her "run." I promise to run slower next time.

While Clint continued to sell goods, I wandered around a bit and loitered by the area where they would post results/awards. When my age group was posted I wasn't too surprised to see that I wasn't listed in the top five. But...wait a minute! My finishing time was faster than the 2nd place girl in my age group (she ran a 23:37) and I really wasn't too far off of #1 who ran a 22:59. Oh well. I wandered into the gym and told Clint (I took a picture of the results to show him to verify that I wasn't just crazy).

Soon Paul, Carol, Gary and Andy came over and wanted to take pics with awards...I told them about the debacle and Paul marched me over to the awards table to see what was up ;). Turns out the 2nd place 30-34F award was still sitting on the table (the girl listed hadn't picked it up yet) so I asked the ladies working at the table if I could borrow the award for a quick photo and bring it right back. I think they thought I was a little strange (rightfully so ;)), but they acquiesced the request. We took our pic...and I brought it right back. Later, one of the girls came back into the gym with the award and gave it to me saying that the other girl never picked it up and they had decided just to give it to me. Woot! ;)

THANKS to my team for being a fun bunch of people to hang out with. THANKS to Mitch for the support at the race and for the privilege of being part of the team. THANKS to Coach Clint for pushing me and to Adidas for the great gear. I THINK my favorite pink racing flats finally dried out after that rain ;).


Gary+Andy in 2014...and in 2015 ;)
Me with my #1


Team Award Winners...hmmm Gary's is just a lil' guy ;)
After the race, Clint and I headed up to my parents' home near the Quad Cities to celebrate Thanksgiving. Clint went on a long...rainy...run while the women-folk prepared the feast :-).


Fun stuff :). Our 3-year-old niece watched for Uncle Clint through the front door and was so excited when she saw him approaching from down the road, "Aunt Rachel! Clint is coming! Clint is coming!" <3 td="">
Next up? Oh boy...Well, I'm planning to write a "pregnancy report" at the halfway/20-week point. Stay tuned for that "excitement" ;-). As far as races...I have nothing scheduled, but hope to get in a few more before the big "delivery race" in April!

Keep running fun!

~Rachel (+Baby!)

No comments: