Thursday, June 6, 2013

Two triathlons + two trophies = solid start to the season!

I've completed events each weekend for the past six weeks...

April 27: U of I half marathon
May 5:  Rev3 Knoxville 70.3 relay (swim leg)
May 12: Quad Cities Distance Classic half marathon
May 19: River City marathon (full #8!)
May 25: Tri for Kids' Sake (sprint tri)
June 1:  Tri Shark (sprint tri-turned-du)

I love racing...and it's been fun to have something "big" to look forward to each weekend. I now am breaking my streak this coming weekend, though. I think it's high time to stay home!  Clearly events like some of these aren't cheap..plus my brain (and maybe body!) could use some down time. 

My first two multi-sport events of the 2013 season have gone decently well. Somehow I managed to finish #3 overall female in the Tri for Kids' Sake. It was a small event...but a bit of a confidence builder nonetheless.  

I ended up deciding at the last possible moment to drive up to Morton, the small town where the race was being held approximately 35 minutes away from me, and signed up for the event just about 45 short minutes prior to the start. I really enjoy the big-name, thrilling events...but there is something very calming and inviting about smaller local races such as this one...nothing like being able to arrive less than an hour before the start and still have MORE than enough time to register and prep my things in transition!  I had run this race the previous year and remembered it as being well supported, fun, and having an uncomplicated course, so I was excited to give it another try.

The morning of the race was chilly, and I was slightly nervous. I had gone up alone, which is fine with me. Sometimes I really enjoy being solo. It calms me down. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy participating in events with my friends...but I also really appreciate some "me" time where I can do whatever odd pre-race rituals I want without fear of judgement ;-).

The swim start for the Morton event is a time-trial start. Registrants have to provide an estimated finish time for swimming 400 yards. Last year I had also signed up on somewhat of a whim and registered online just days before the race. Shortly prior to that race last year, I had registered for the Branson 70.3 event (maybe after a BIT of pressure from a friend ;-)).  The ONLY experiences in triathlon I had had prior to registering for Branson were an "indoor tri" in St. Louis in February of 2011 (completed simply for fun) and the great triathlon debacle of 2012...when I completed the Kansas City triathlon (sprint distance) in May of 2012 and H A T E D every minute (other than the run). However, having registered for Branson a mere 4 months prior to the event, I knew I needed to get serious with training. Enter the Morton Tri for Kids' Sake as my first real "training exercise" last season. 

Also...prior to registering for the Morton event last year I literally had not been in a pool (or lake or any body of water other than a bathtub) for approximately 6 months. So...I had NO idea of how to estimate my swim finish time for 400 yards. I think I estimated like 13 minutes. Ha!!! Looking back, I find this extremely funny. I ended up finishing in around 10 minutes (10:07.1).

The swim at this event takes place in a very nice outdoor lap pool. You jump in (one by one), swim down and back in one lane and then go under the rope...down and back the next lane...under the rope...etc...for a total of 8 lanes (400 total yards). 

Last year I probably could've even finished a bit faster than 10 minutes. The problem with estimating a slower time like I had is the lanes were already very congested by the time I got in the pool. People were fatiguing and popping up to grab breaks...some stopped in the middle of lanes and others grabbed onto the sides of the pool.  I actually had to swim/walk/run around many people.

This winter I've worked very hard on my swimming. I knew I was capable of finishing much faster than 10 minutes. However, when I asked the volunteers working the sign up table where I was to start in the line-up, they informed me that race-day registrants had to start at the end of the line. I kindly and what I hope still came across as humbly told them that my swim finish time would likely be quite faster than what those at the end of the line were. I KNEW from last year's experience that I did NOT want to get stuck at the end of the line. They ended up telling me to chat with the race director...who told me I could start around 30th. Sweet!  One volunteer did give me grief 3x as I stood in line (I was sporting number 119 on my body) with the athletes numbered in the 30's. I assured her the race director really did tell me what I was doing was ok but she did NOT believe me. 

I chatted with a few kind people in line as I waited...and soon enough it was my turn to run across the timing mat and jump in. I felt decent while swimming.....maybe not quite as strong as I swam in some workout sessions, but not bad overall. I finished the swim in 8:24.5 (1:42 faster than last year!). 

The bike and run went decently. It rained lightly off and on throughout the duration of the event. Additionally, it was pretty darn cold. When I got off the bike and started the run leg, my feet felt like blocks of ice. I truly could barely feel them for about a mile. At one point, shortly after leaving the transition area, I looked down at my feet to be sure I had put my shoes on...my feet just felt awful!!

My overall finish times weren't spectacular, but I was faster in all areas (except the first transition!  Ha!) than last year:

                2012                  2013
Swim       10:07.1           8:24.5 (2:06)
T1            1:29.2            1:53.6
Bike         45:18.2 (17.2)   43.48.5 (18.5)
T2            1:32.2             1:08.7
Run          26:32.4(8:34)   26:07.6 (8:25)
Total        1:24:59.1         1:21:22.9

WOW...check out my first transition (T1) this year!  It was almost TWO minutes!  Ha!  I know exactly why it took me so long...I made the mistake of planning to wear one of my favorite fitted black long-sleeved lululemon tops over my tri top when I got out of the water. It was COLD and I knew I'd want more coverage on the bike and run. Secondarily, I had forgotten my race belt at home (whoops!!). So, I pinned my race number to said top. After I got out of the water and was in the midst of transitioning to the bike, I had to FIGHT to get that dry tight top onto my cold, soaked body. The shirt was less than cooperative. Lesson learned:  they make triathlon-specific clothing for a reason. Perhaps a jacket with a zipper would've been a wiser choice as opposed to a tight, soft (though adorable ;-)) shirt. That said...the shirt really WAS comfy on the bike/run. Comfy enough to "cost" me ~1 minute in transition tacked onto my finish time?  Maybe not...oh we'll ;-). Live and learn!

Last year...I finished 3rd in my age group and earned a little trophy. This year...I finished 3rd overall female (and 1st out of 5 in my age group!). I was VERY surprised. Hooray for small events!! :-)

It was a fun, satisfying morning. 
(Dorky ol' me in my car with my award and look of dorky surprise before the drive home:-))

I texted my friend Jillian to tell her of my good fortune that morning...and she immediately called me back. "Do you remember what we were doing two years ago this same weekend?" she asked incredulously. I had to think for a few minutes before I realized it was exactly two years prior to this event that I had completed the horrid (for me!) Kansas City Triathlon with Jillian. After the race...I had even uttered the foolish words, "This was horrible. Triathlon just isn't for me."  I then sulked in the car until Jillian successfully navigated to a chipotle (at my request) that seemed to be an eternity away in driving distance. 

After that event...I had even, in anger and disgust, hung up my road bike in the garage and didn't ride it again for a good five months. Ha!!!!!  Ohhhh how time and an adjustment of attitude can change a person!

The weekend after the Morton event, I was registered to run in the Tri Shark Classic (sprint triathlon) near my home in central IL. Central IL experienced quite a lot of rain and subsequently quite a lot of flooding in the days leading up to the race. The morning before the race we received notice via e-mail that the triathlon had become a duathlon. The swim portion had been canceled, secondary to high levels of E. coli and other nastiness in the lake. Sick. 

While I understand the decision (duh!  Who can argue with E. coli?!), I was disappointed. I still don't LIKE swimming...but I really did work hard on improving my swimming skills this past winter and was (and still am) somewhat eager to see what I can do in a race.  I know there will be PLENTY of other opportunities for swimming this summer, though! 

I had a LOT of fun at the Tri Shark event. Since the event is local for me, I knew a large number of both participants and spectators. It's great to spend time before and after the event talking to people in the festive environment. My coach Laura came out to cheer on her Epic Endurance crew racing (her husband Dan, David, Steve and myself). Our friend Kelly was there and took some seriously amazing photos (the pictures to follow are all from her!)
(I'm not sure who or what I was smiling at here...I certainly look as if I was having fun!)

(I decided to blow Kelly/the camera some kisses....darn it, Rachel!  You likely cost yourself like a minute messing around! ;-))

(Me on the bike...taking things a bit more seriously here. I'm so grateful to Kelly for capturing these photos!)

I finished in 1:27:07.3, which earned me 5th place in my age group (F 30-34). I didn't believe some of my friends who were telling me that I'd get a trophy for 5th place....but I should've!  Because....

Here's my sweet trophy!!

Here are my times:

Run 1 (2 mi):  15:24.5
T1:  1:30.2
Bike (13 mi):  43:08.1
T2:  1:35.9
Run 2 (5k/3.1mi):  25:28.6

Steve, one of my awesome teammates, also earned a sweet Shark trophy for an impressive 3rd place finish in his age group!

(Way to go, Steve!)

The Epic Endurance crew! (Why am I hiding??)

I'm looking forward to my first Olympic tri of the season in a week!  I'm registered for the Rockford Triathlon (near my old stomping grounds!  I grew up in Winnebago, a small town outside of Rockford) on June 15. 

To be honest...I'm rather nervous...I haven't swam at ALL since the Morton event on May 25.  However, my running has been solid lately and my biking has been decent, for me. I'm hoping to go under 3 hours (I never quite got under 3 last season).  I need to really concentrate on my swimming form and confidence in the water...and I need to get serious about not wasting time in transitions/becoming more efficient. I need to get better about NOT being afraid to hurt a bit on the bike and being able to push my legs and body harder....and then really bring it home strong on the 10k run at the end (which is my area of relative strength).

I'm also excited about my fan club that will be present at the Rockford Triathlon...my good friends Jill and Brooke live near the race site and will be there, along with their sweet little ones Gia and Kaitlyn!  Can't wait!

Stay tuned!




No comments: