Monday, June 24, 2013

Numbers

I've always enjoyed numbers.  Math and music...the neat predictability of numbers and rhythm...two of my favorite things. Often, when I am running, biking or swimming I am counting or chanting numbers or singing repetitively in my head. Strange?  Probably ;-).  However, it keeps me focused. 

Triathlon training is number-intensive for sure. Here are a few of "my" numbers, as of late:

3300:  the number of yards I swam in my indoor pool workout tonight (my longest thus far!)

1150:  the number of calories I was SUPPOSED to consume during yesterday's 4.5 hour bike ride

980:  the number of calories I actually consumed during yesterday's 4.5 hour bike ride (all all-time high for me in terms of caloric intake during training. Eating while working out is such a paradigm shift for me...someone who typically thinks about the calories BURNED during activity, without much thought to intake. I'm QUICKLY learning just how important consuming the right amounts of the right kinds of fuel is though!)

14:  the number of hours I worked out last week (swimming, biking, running and yoga)

5:  the number of laps I swam around the course marked out in the lake at Thursday night Open Water Swim (TOWS) at a camp outside of town (for a total of 1.41 miles!  This was my longest open-water swim yet...AND I did it without a wetsuit and without stopping!). 

4:  the number of pairs of running shoes I'm currently rotating through/experimenting with. It's also the number of yoga mats I play around with, depending on my mood/function. 

26.2:  the longest distance (in miles) I've ever run. I've never run a distance longer than a marathon. Hmmm. I think an ultramarathon needs to be in the plans for the next year or so...

2: number of times I've fallen off of my bike (both on the same day...whoops ;-))

13:  the number of minutes SLOWER my marathon PR is than the Boston Qualifying time of 3:35 (I have a lot of work to do!)

106: number of days in my longest streak of consecutive days of workouts (completed jan-may this year...streak died the day after my half marathon at the U of I :-))

9:  number of consecutive Bix 7 races in Davenport, Iowa I've run (this year will be my 10th!). This is one of my very favorite events each year. 

10:  the number in my list of marathons completed this year's New York City Marathon will be (!!!) on November 3 (seeing as I've only run 8 marathons...it means I need to find a suitable marathon #9 between now and November ;-)).

26:  number of training days between now and my 70.3 event in Racine 

75:  number of training days between now and becoming an Ironman!!!!!!!






No comments: