Sunday, September 29, 2013

2013 Easter Seals Grape Soirée

Last night I attended the 2013 Easter Seals Grape Soirée. This is an annual event held to raise money for Easter Seals of Central Illinois, a pediatric outpatient rehabilitation clinic where I work, to help allow this organization to serve larger numbers of children with disabilities and their families. Talented area artists donate beautiful artwork that is auctioned off throughout the evening. Additionally, area wine vendors bring a selection of their wines for attendees to sample and purchase.  A delicious dinner is also a part of the exciting evening.

My favorite part of the event is when Easter Seals families take the microphone and share their stories. Last night two sweet families shared from their hearts the ways in which Easter Seals services have touched their families. Both families talked about milestones and dreams their children had acheived thanks to Easter Seals. Walking, talking and playing meaningfully with others are just some of the skills that are acquired naturally by many children but must be explicitly taught through focused therapy for some children like those present at last night's Grape Soirée. 

The four children who were present at this year's event had the opportunity to prepare pieces of artwork with this year's featured artist, Fernando Cornejo. These pieces were then auctioned off last night as part of the live auction. 

Throughout the night I was astounded by the generosity displayed by people in attendance. One gorgeous piece, painted by a fellow triathlete Thursday Gervais, was auctioned off for four thousand dollars!  Incredible!

This was my fourth year volunteering to help at this event. Each year I'm very impressed by the dedication and generosity with time, talent and funds exhibited by the team of volunteers who works for months to ensure the success of The Grape Soirée. 

I was given the opportunity to speak for a few minutes at the end of the evening to share a little about Team Believe and our quest to raise support for Easter Sesls through running the upcoming New York City Marathon. 

I shared how, for the past six years, I've had the privilege of working as a speech-language pathologist at Easter Seals. During that time I've been inspired by the children and families I work with. I've watched children rise above challenges bigger than anything I've faced in my life to accomplish their dreams and milestones. I've learned not to take life and opportunities for granted and to chase my own dreams as a result. I was excited to join Team Believe to combine my personal passion for running with my desire to further the mission of Easter Seals: to ensure that individuals with disabilities have equal opportunities to live, learn, work and play in their communities. 

Check out my fundraising page and consider supporting the children and families served by Easter Seals.  Thank you for your consideration... And thank you to everyone who has shown support of Team Believe's efforts and of Easter Seals. 

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/RachelMatyasse/new-york-city-marathon 

This photo shows me with three of my favorite little girls... Sisters who attended last night's Grape Soirée and who crafted the three beautiful art pieces behind us. 

No comments: