Sunday, September 1, 2013

Great Illini Challenge 2013

Last year, I had registered for the Olympic-distance event at the Great Illini Challenge.  However, due to the crazy hurricanes sending some of the nasty weather to the Midwest, the event was canceled.  The race director, though, allowed everyone who had registered last year to transfer their registrations to this year's event!  Pretty outstanding, in my opinion.

Since it was basically "free" to me this year, the race was on my radar...but seeing as it was scheduled for the weekend directly prior to Ironman Wisconsin, I wasn't sure that I'd actually do it because obviously I need to be in peak performance condition at Ironman.  This past week, I felt generally good so I asked Coach Laura her opinion on the matter.  She gave me the green light as long as I was feeling good!

The race was at Lake Mattoon, which is about 2 hours from my home.  This meant a 3:30am alarm (does 3:30am even count as morning?  I think it's still kind of "night", right, seeing as some bars are still open until 3!).  It was horrid.  I hate getting up early.  I left my home by 4:30am and was on the road.  The solo drive wasn't horrible...but definitely not something I have any desire to re-live!

As Google Maps was telling me I was getting closer, I was skeptical.  I found myself driving on narrow gravel roads and didn't see anything resembling a lake or civilization for quite some time.  Sure enough, though, seeming to materialize out of the morning air...I spotted the transition area and the lake.

I parked, picked up my packet (LOVE smaller events with day-of-event packet pickup!), and unloaded my gear.  There was also had a 70.3 distance event that day, with swim starts at 6:45 and 6:48am.  I watched that start and watched the first swimmers come in, including two from the tri club I'm in:  Chris Sweet (second male out of the water) and Aimee Dziekan (second female out of the water).  I wondered to myself if I'd ever be a fast swimmer like that (ha...probably not :)).

There was a LOT of waiting time...and I found myself wishing that I had spent longer in bed as opposed to arriving so early.  The Olympic distance event didn't start until 8:15 (just one heat of swimmers).  I did a lot of sitting...chatting with some other athletes...and lots of porta potty visiting (nerves!  ha!).

Finally at 8 they had the pre-race meeting and at 8:15...we were off in the water!  I opted to NOT wear a wetsuit.  The race was wetsuit legal, but it was supposed to be a pretty hot day.  My wetsuit has sleeves on it and I've been feeling pretty hot in it lately.  Last Sunday when I swam with my friends David and Kelly I wore the wetsuit and felt a bit claustrophobic.  Rather than feeling hot and panicky, I decided to forgo the wetsuit (even though wearing it does generally make me a few minutes faster). 

The water temp was comfortable, but could've been a bit cooler and it would've been even better.  I was pleased that I felt "good" in the water. Swimming is not a strength of mine, I am a very inexperienced swimmer and definitely lack confidence in the water.  However, I felt strong (comparatively speaking!) and as if I was moving faster than I typically do.  I was out of the water in 34:37.  I was very pleased with this time for me. In June at the Rockford Olympic Tri (my only other Olympic-distance triathlon this season) my time was 34:45 WITH a wetsuit.  I am surprised by the fact that I actually FELT good in the water...and felt fast compared to what I am used to feeling like! I have a long way to go with my swimming, but I have felt and seen definite improvements this season.

My time for the first transition was 2:24.40.  Slow, but I wasn't really trying to be super quick.  I took the time to rinse the sand from my feet from the swim and made sure everything was in place before setting off on the bike.

The first portion of the bike course was nice and fast.  It's become fun for me to be able to see speeds of 20-24 mph showing up on my Garmin!  The course was flat and the wind was with us.  After a turn, however, we turned in to the wind and slight hills started.  I slowed a bit, but stayed generally strong for me overall.  The heat of the day started setting in while I was on the bike, and I started having some worried thoughts about the run.  I finished in 1:20:43, which is an average pace of 18.4 mph.  Earlier this season at the Rockford Tri in June, I did 1:26:24 or 17.4 mph. At the Rockford Tri it was raining, so I was more cautious. However, I also had (borrowed) race wheels on my bike that day. AND, it was much windier at the Great Illini Challenge this weekend.  So, I feel good about my 6+ minute faster time at this tri and 1 mph faster overall average time.

My time for the second transition was not listed on the results site...seems like there was some sort of timing error.  It was likely between 1-2 minutes or so.

The run....oh boy :).  It.  Was.  HOT!!!  I did NOT push this. I knew I needed to be very careful and not screw up my body for my Ironman which was just 8 days away.  I ran slowly and the numbers show it.  I walked EVERY aid station (there was one at the end of each mile...so 6 total). I took two cups of water at every station, as well as a cup of ice at most of them.  I generally drank a cup, dumped a cup over my head and rubbed the ice cubes on my face and dropped them down my top.  I also discovered that the back pockets of my tri top were a great place for ice cubes...they just hung out back there and melted down my back and legs which felt pretty stellar.  It was incredibly hot...heat index in the triple digits. I felt "ok", and my ankle didn't give me any grief...but I KNEW it wasn't worth it to push it! In Rockford I did 53:54 (8:33 min/mile pace) which is pretty on-target for me. At the Great Illini Challenge I did a slow (for me!) 10:20 min/mile average pace for a total time of 1:04:07. I was definitely happy to see that finish line...and did NOT envy the poor souls doing the Half Iron distance that day! UGH!!!

My overall finish time was 3:01.53.  I finished 2nd out of 4 in my age group and 23rd out of 46 finishers overall.  Hilariously, they gave out trophies to EVERYONE!  I received a trophy with a big "23" on the top indicating 23rd place.  My 23rd place trophy now has a place of honor on a shelf in my living room.

All in all, it was a great training day!  I am happy with my performance on a take-it-easy type of day, especially in the crazy heat. 

Aaaaaannnnd...we're at 6 days, 18 hours, 7 minutes til start time.  (Breathe....)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job Rachel! you HAVE come a long way this season :) Way to race STRONG and SMART!!

Unknown said...

Hi! I found your blog when I was searching for race reports for Ironman Wisconsin! Congrats btw!

I was at this race too and did the half Iron distance! It was so so so hot! It is the first race I ever really considered DNF'ing.

Good job on finishing! And knowing when not push it and running a smart race!