Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ironman Training FAQ...from my point of view

Well...my (first) Ironman is just 2 1/2 days away.  After just three sleeps, I will wake up on September 8, 2013...ready to take on Ironman Wisconsin.  EEK!

I have really enjoyed talking about the race to friends and family who have had questions about it...actually this week in particular talking about it frequently (nearly everyone I see knows I am doing it and has questions/encouraging words to share!) has helped make me a little less nervous :).  Here are some of the questions (and my responses :)) I've encountered lately:

1.  Oh you're doing an Ironman?  That's like a triathlon, right?

A.  Yup!  An Ironman IS a triathlon, or a race with three parts....swimming, biking and running.  However an Ironman triathlon is a little more complicated than just "a triathlon."  An Ironman-distance triathlon consists of a total of 140.6 miles (my heart palpitations re-started as I typed that!).  First, you swim 2.4 miles.  Next, you bike 112 miles.  Last you run a marathon.  Yes, an entire marathon.  Twenty-six point two miles of running after a 114.4 mile "warm-up"!

2.   So how long will it take you to finish this?

A.  A LONG FREAKING TIME.  The race cut-off time is 17 hours, meaning participants must complete the race within 17 hours or they will not be allowed to finish (the finish line shuts down, you won't get a medal, etc.).  The race starts at 7am and ends at midnight.  I estimate that the race will take me 13-16 hours to complete.  I really don't know what to expect.  I estimate that the 2.4 mile swim will take me 1 hour and 40 minutes, the 112 mile bike will take me 7.5-8.5 hours and the marathon will take me 4.5-5 hours.  Adding in approximately 20 minutes for my transitions (two total transitions at approximately 10 minutes each) and the total amount of time I estimate this event to take me is somewhere between 14-16 hours.  Some of my friends/training partners have told me that my time estimations are too conservative and that I will be faster...but really I don't know.  Honestly, I have no time goal for myself...other than to finish!  Having never done this before...I have no idea what to expect.  There are just so many variables...GI/nutrition issues, injury (perish the thought!), flat tires or other bike/mechanical issues, etc....

3.   Do you eat during the race?

A.  YES!  I have to eat a LOT or I will "bonk" (= not finish!).  The amount of calories burned during the event will be 7,000-10,000 (I've read varied reports!).  Fueling ones body to get it through this endurance event is very important.  I have gluten intolerance and a stomach that tends to be pretty sensitive, so planning my nutrition has been a big challenge throughout training this summer.  Here's how my plan for Sunday stands right now:
Prior to the race, I will eat a banana and a peanut butter and jelly Bonk Breaker bar (yummy gluten/dairy/soy-free protein bar).  Right before the swim, I will have an energy gel (I have been using the Honey Stinger brand).  After I get out of the water, when I am in T1 (first transition), I will have a Powerbar Performance Energy blend and maybe another Bonk Breaker bar, as well as some water and water + nuun (sports drink). 
On the bike, I personally find nutrition intake really challenging.  Frankly, I don't feel much like eating when I am on the bike...but I know it is really, really important to stay on top of my nutrition plan.  I need to consume 200-350 calories per hour while on the bike.  This will come in the form of Bonk Breaker bars, Honey Stinger chews (I like the pink lemonade kind!) and Honey Stinger gels.  I have three bottles on my bike, two will have water and one will have water + nuun (sports drink).  There will be aid stations where I can refill my bottles and grab fuel that's available.  In addition, there will be a stop where I can access my "special needs" bag.  The special needs bag is something that I will put some items in it that I anticipate maybe needing on the bike (there will be a second special needs bag available to me on the run course).  These bags will be held at an aid station somewhere on the bike course (and again later on the run course). 
During the second transition as I get ready for the run I will have another Powerbar Performance Energy blend (I love these things!).  I will also put 3 packages of Honey Stinger chews and 2 Honey Stinger gels in my pockets.  I really don't know how many I will consume while running...part of the decision will depend on what state my stomach is in at that point and how long it actually takes me out on the run course.

4.  Will you do another Ironman?

A.  Ask me next week!  HA!  In reality, I just don't know.  I think I will do another Ironman someday.  But, I also think that "someday" won't be anytime in the next year or two.  We'll see.  The amount of TIME one must commit to training has been a challenge!  I think I need to spend more time on other aspects of my life that I've neglected this past year while I've been training!  Next summer I will likely do shorter-distance triathlons (including half-Iron distances)...but the jury's out on my next full Iron-distance race.

5.  Are you nervous?

A.  Yes!  Nervous, excited...my body doesn't really know HOW it feels sometimes!  There's a good, healthy dose of cautious fear coursing through my veins as well.  Most of the time this past week, though, I've simply been excited.  My stomach has been unsettled and I haven't gotten a good night's sleep for weeks.  My brain won't turn off!  I have been more diligent about getting into bed earlier over the past week or so (9:30pm!)...but I am definitely not falling right asleep at that time.  I'm eager to get this thing STARTED!!!

6.  Why are you doing this?

A.  GOOD QUESTION!  There are a number of reasons...here are just a few.  This is a topic I could discuss for days on end!
1.  I love challenges...and truly do enjoy pushing myself just to see what I can do, to test my own limits.  In May of 2011 I completed my first (sprint) triathlon...and hated it!  In May of 2012 I decided to register for a half Ironman (having never had completed a triathlon other than the one that I hated!) and spent the summer of 2012 training for and working up to the 70.3 distance.  After completing a half Ironman, the next natural progression was to a full Ironman!  What's next?  Who knows!!
2.  A big motivator for me has been the kids and families I work with in my job as a pediatric speech-language pathologist.  The challenges I've seen "my" kids overcome have shown me that anything is possible.  If I am asking them to work hard to accomplish goals...I should be requiring the same of myself! 
3.  Running marathons and completing triathlons has given me an "outlet" for stress relief. 
4.  I've met many incredible people, a number of whom are now counted among my dearest friends, through the sport. 


I'm SO grateful for all of the sweet support I've gotten from friends, family and co-workers as I've trained for this!  I am sure most of you think I'm nuts and cannot begin to fathom WHY on earth I am doing this!  This makes your support all the more special and appreciated, if that makes any sense!

Today is my LAST work day until after I hear those coveted words...you are an IRONMAN!  Breathe!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shake the pillars of heaven.

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you and all you have accomplished this year! It's time to celebrate on Sunday!! :)

Anonymous said...

You pretty much called your 'splits'. Impressive. Most impressive.