Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ironman Wisconsin Race Report Teaser

I am on Day Four post-Ironman and it still hasn't completely sunk in that I can now say that I have completed an Ironman...I am an Ironman!  Just crazy.  Surreal!

I can't wait to have the time to finish up my comprehensive race report (get ready...it will be wordy and detailed, as is my nature!), but have been busy this week getting back to "real" life.  I've been catching up on work at my two primary jobs (speech-language pathologist at an elementary school and at a pediatric outpatient rehabilitation clinic), getting back to teaching a few piano lessons, cleaning up and packing away my gear (I will NOT be wearing that blasted wetsuit until next year for CERTAIN!)....and getting moving with my Easter Seals fundraising efforts for the New York City Marathon (more on that SOON!).  I have SO many great memories from Sunday rattling around in my head and I felt like getting a few of them out so I don't forget them...in spite of the fact that I don't have time to write my full race report yet.

Top Ten Memories from my FIRST Ironman:

10.  Feeling an odd sense of calm as I started swimming...even though I was in the midst of 2600+ flailing bodies and choppy water.
9.  Interacting with dozens of enthusiastic, happy and encouraging volunteers
8.  Visiting the port potties far too many times.
7.  Getting smacked in the a$$ by a chick dressed like a fairy wielding a magic wand as I fought my way up one of the many hills on the bike course.
6.  Seeing friends and training partners David, Steve and Dan a number of times on the run course as we pounded out the final miles on our journey to become Ironmen
5.  Seeing my family and friends in a variety of places along the sidelines (and hearing my mom yell, "Don't quit!").
4.  Chilling in a penalty box for 4 minutes (Seriously.  More on that later!)
3.  Running miles 19-20.5 with my sister Megan...she jumped onto the course with me and ran by my side for about a mile and a half.  This really helped mentally pick me up, as I was feeling worn out both mentally and physically.
2.  Running the final quarter mile to the finish line as thousands of people screamed and cheered
1.  (Obviously!) Crossing that finish line and hearing the words, "Rachel Matyasse, you are an Ironman!"

That's all for now!






No comments: