Sunday, July 12, 2009

Week 5 down, 13 to go!

So, today marked the end of week 5 of the 18-week marathon training program. I ran with the Lake Run Club Marathon training group again at 6:30 this morning. Today's run was 10 miles for me (it is kind of a do-what-you-want type thing; many people follow either the "novice I" or the "advanced I" Hal Higdon plans so there is typically always someone there who will be running approximately what you are. Today there were 3 people running 14 miles, 8 or so doing 10, and 2 doing a few miles less). Of all of us, the 3 14 milers took the lead and set off quicker than the rest of us, 2 guys running 10 were a bit behind them, and then myself and 2 others followed not far behind that. Behind us were two additional groups of 3 or so each. So, I am not the "slowest", but definitely not the "fastest" either...I am comfortably somewhere smack-dab in the middle of the pack of the training group, which is where I like to be.

10 miles felt great today...however I had some stomach issues right around mile 3. There was a porta-potty in a park there but I refused to stop so early on. I pressed through it and stopped after we turned around and came back past the same porta-potty...around mile 6. I didn't lose my group, though, since I didn't take the water break that they did and basically sprinted between the spot I left them getting water and the spot where the porta-potty was located. Whew, relief! ;) It was a quite normal, non-notable event ;), which was nice for me...because I have DEFINITELY had my share of not-s0-normal bathroom, errr, experiences pre-diagnosis! However, today I was fine...disaster was successfully averted! In case you didn't already know...I am typically thoroughly, unabashedly open with my bathroom experiences...like it or not. The way I see it, I can't/couldn't help it: my issues are/were based on MEDICAL problems I am/was having, so I may as well get a laugh out of them! HA! Enough for now, though ;).

Now, it's time for:

Things that Annoy Me about Runners (part 12908! ;))--
Yeah, I recognize that I am probably far too impatient and far too easily annoyed. But I don't care.
Ok, so some background on the Lake Run Club thing is needed before proceeding. Basically whomever paid the $ to join this group can meet on either Saturday or Sunday mornings (or both) at 6:30 each weekend til sometime in the fall after the marathons people signed up for are done...we meet at this place called "The Triangle" in Blo-No, which is basically a spot on the Constitution Trail here in town (which is AWESOME, by the way) that forms a triangle of paths. We have water/Gatorade waiting for us at the start/finish and also at a few other places on the route as well (depending on how long the run is for that day). That part is definitely really nice. The camaraderie is also a perk...running 10+ miles by yourself can be kinda boring. However, I HATEHATEHATE all of the runner-types comparing race experiences, race times, races recently run in a really obnoxious, competitive manner. Who cares?! This is freaking Bloomington-Normal and we are not freaking Olympic-class runners or anything. I find it annoying. Maybe it's just me and my easily-annoyed personality ;). I mean, I would rather everyone just hung out and compared bowel movements...like me! ;) (I might be kidding! ;)).

I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I think I like the Lake Run Club and am glad I joined....but some of the personalities just rub me the wrong way. It's probably just because I am lacking in that athletic/competitive drive gene. ;)

Mileage this past week:
Monday: 0 (nice car mishap after class/work forced me to miss the gym/run)
Tuesday: 6 miles
Wednesday: 65 minutes elliptical (crosstraining; we'll call this 6 miles since it did on the elliptical)
Thursday: 3.5 miles
Friday: 0 (too lazy to get up before work ;), and we had a wedding in the pm)
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 10 miles
Total: 31.5

OH, today I also broke in a new pair of shoes during the run. I wore my new blue and white Adidas Zoom shoes during the 10 mile run and they felt great. My former shoes were definitely past their prime and had been worn for 300+ miles. I broke them in the day before the half marathon I ran in April which was 3 months ago...and they kind of had an unfortunate run-in with some, errr, bodily fluids after the Steamboat Classic a few weeks ago and subsequent harsh run-in with the hose and various scrubbing devices and have never really returned to their former glory. SO, it was time for new shoes. These new shoes were the same make/style as the previous ones, just a new color...blue this time as opposed to the cute watermelon-y pink before. I like them!

Alright, I've avoided cleaning long enough....have a great day!

No comments: