Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Holiday Weekend!

I just got back from tonight's training run....5.5 miles. I haven't updated in a while and need to record miles/workouts for the past week-ish...I'll do it just like I did before:
suggested week 4 workout schedule/my actual completed week 4 workouts:

Sunday: Cross train 60 minutes/Cross train 65 minutes (elliptical @ gym)
Monday: Rest/7 mile run
Tuesday: 3 mile run/Rest
Wednesday: 4 mile run/Rest
Thursday: 3 mile run/5.5 mile run

Yet to go for week 4:
Friday: Rest/I already took my 2 rest days for the week, so I am going to do something yet-to-be-determined tomorrow
Saturday: 9 mile run/I have registered for a 5 mile race, so I will do this...and maybe do 4-5 miles later on during the day? Or, I might wait and do the full 9-mile long run with the Lake Run Club marathon group on Sunday am...
Sunday: Cross train 60 minutes/Something yet-t0-be-determined!

I think, basically, I am on the right track still. I ran on Monday instead of taking a rest day as instructed on the training program because I knew I wouldn't have time to run on Tuesday. I did 7 miles instead of the required 3 for the training program because it just felt good and I wanted to make it a long run. It was great! It was awesome weather and a really good run. Tuesday I went to a book club at my friend Jillian's place in Peoria so I took that day off. Wednesday I got home from work and felt like absolute crap and lied on the couch for a good portion of the evening...which is SO not like me. Today, I did my best to make up for 2 days off by doing a 5.5 mile run. I'm slightly over the suggested mileage for the week thus far (10 miles suggested) by having run 12.5 miles. So, I think I am in good shape :).

Honestly, I am kind of torn...I am following the "Novice" training program that the Lake Run Club suggested...the only other option was "Advanced I"...and I am definitely not advanced!! However...I am used to working out on 5-7 days per week (with an average of 6 days on "normal" weeks) for 60-75 minutes (sometimes slightly less, sometimes slightly more)....and I don't want to JUST run 3-4 miles on the assigned nights (Tues/Wed/Thurs at this point in the program) because that's like 30 minutes of cardio when I am used to 60 minutes of cardio. I don't want to GAIN weight! However, I also don't want to HURT myself by "over training"...so I am trying to basically follow the program...and take the rest days, because it has really been stressed about how important rest days are (for your muscles to gain strength, etc.).

So, I am basically following the program ;), but kind of playing it by ear as well! Let's see how this one goes! Maybe when I am done with this I'll google some "intermediate" marathon training plans to see if such a thing exists ;), I would assume that it does!

In other news...I had a crappy stomach-ache today. YUCK. It didn't seem to be gluten-related, but I am not sure what it was. It was located in the lower central area of my abdomen and just kind of annoying. Oh well. I'm still truckin'! ;)

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, all! Happy 4th of July!

No comments: